The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 6.6g acrylic bowfront tank that i really want to know the name and manufacturer of because i need to get a lid for it, if need be i will provide a picture
thankyou

·
Registered
480 Posts
thank you brad h do you know if there is anyway to buy just a lid from petco
Get a piece of acrylic and cut it for the top. It will look much better and would be cheap and easy.

If you wanted to get really nifty, you could bend the edges so it doesn't have a chance to fall off or into the tank

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was actually wondering if you could fit a peice of glass but that idea sounds better, what do you need to cut acrylic or would ihave to find some one who can do this

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I know our local glass shops (automotive, windows) cut acrylic as well as glass, and they cut to specific shapes/sizes.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I suppose that all depends on several things - the area you're in, local competetion, complexity of the shape/cut, and the thickness of the acrylic, etc...

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Lowes will cut acrylic for free, but acrylic will probably warp pretty quickly.

You might try a window repairman or window repair store to see if they'd be willing to cut a scrap to size for you- possibly could get it done more cheaply than at a glass store for something this small.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
fishman333 - Check out POP Display's ebay store. Look at Lexan Sheets
in 1/4" or 3/8" thickness. I've bought several time from that seller fast & friendly. He'll make a few straight cuts for free.

Lexan is used as bullet-resistant glass (nothing is truely bullet proof).

I've made wet dry filters out of Lexan. Last spring I made a battery tray for my Scion to install an Optima Battery.

You can cut it with a jigsaw, drill it no problem. If you want to get creative you can polish unfinished edges with sand paper. You would work from saw 100,150,200,400 them out over 1000 depending on what you want in a finished top.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
You'll like working with Lexan, cuts clean, no oder when you cut it. Some acrylic will melt from the friction heat of a jig saw. Do use a table saw for long cuts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts