The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me what those are and how to get rid of them.

1) About 1/8 of an inch.
1) I first thought they were nerit eggs, but they are actually alive and moves
2) I then thought they are some baby snails, but they never grow up, what's in the photo is as big as they get (3+ months)
3) They come back rapidly, after manually removing all of them from my glass, they are right back in less than a day.

Does anyone know what they are? It makes the tank look really bad with those all over the glass.

Thank you

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do they move? Looks a little bit like some leeches I had once.
they move exactly like snails, i thought they were baby snails but am certain that's not the case anymore because they never grow hard shells or any bigger. I left them alone for 3+ months and none ever grew. But if i clean all of them out, they would come right back next day, so definitely reproducing somehow.

arggg! :mad:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not positive, but I think they are fresh water limpets. I had a breakout of them with some new plants a few months ago. I would clean them off my class and do a waterchange, but they would be back in a couple days. I could not get rid of them, untill I got a couple assasin snails, and they wiped out the limpets.

Only problem I have is I have tons of assasin snails now, lol

LionelC

·
Banned
90 Posts
hey friened i hav theem in my guppay tank well they look same miene hav point like shell and movev very slow they havnt done any harm i think the may be just a barnical type thing

·
Registered
627 Posts
You actually can't easily get rid of the. Add in a nerite or other larger algae eating snail and their populations will reduce dramatically.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm pretty sure any treatment that would kill limpets will kill the snails you do want, and possibly shrimp. Just reduce food sources or increase competition (larger snails). I don't know if anything eats them.

A little info from What is that bug in my Aquarium? on planetinverts.com: "Since freshwater limpets, Acroloxus lacustris, are so small and also move really slowly, it might be hard to identify them as snails. They are small and can't do much damage to plants, but since they are small, it's impossible to find and remove eggs and the baby snails. Harmless."

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, you could get a couple assasins, let them clean up your tank and then remove them. At that point you could get some more nerrite snails.

OR you can live with the limpets.

I could not stand them, mostly because they would cover the glass. There would be 15 to 20 on the glass every day.

Maybe someone else will have a better option, but when I had this issue, no one had a good idea for a shrimp tank with limpets.

So good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts