The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3g dirted bowl, moderately planted, with a betta and a red cherry shrimp who seems to be cunning enough to escape said betta. The light is fairly high, and i'm adding a bit of DIY CO2, probably too much as the drop checker is on the yellow side.
pH = 6.4, KH = 7, NH3/NH4+ = 0.1, NO2 = 0.2, NO3 = 5. Plants and betta are happy, the shrimp maybe not so much.

Yesterday, I noticed these protozoa (I assume that's what they are) growing everywhere - on the glass, on the anubias and echinodorus leaves, etc. each looks like a little flower on a stem, almost transparent, like jellyfish. They are practically invisible to the naked eye, and don't seem to bother the tank.

What in the world are those, and should I be worried, seeing how this is a 3gal and things could go south fast?

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ah, thanks.
spixi snails look beautiful, but might not be ideal considering my low pH, as acid will eat away at their shells. I do have one hitchhiker pond snail and a small army of ramshorns, so maybe those will help a bit. i'm definitely not overfeeding, but the nutrients in the soil might be contributing to their growth... in any case, thanks for the ID.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, they did look like bell-shaped things.
but i came here to post an update: they all disappeared almost overnight a couple of weeks ago. Water parameters haven't changed, nothing about the tank changed as far as I could tell.
no idea what happened :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts