The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to shut down completely my 15 gallon column for now, and want to move my current plants to my new 55 gallon. I'm hoping to take substrate, plants, etc into the new tank to help speed the cycle.
Two problems.
1) My plants have black algae on them. I ran into a guy who runs a lot of planted tanks at the LFS and he said to remove the badly infected leaves and then do a ten minute dip in a double dose of excel and I should be fine. Would that be ok? I really don't want the new large tank full of the stuff!
2) I currently run a finned planted LED light on my column. No CO2, but do daily dosing with Flourish Excel and weekly with flourish comprehensive. He told me that part of my problem with black algae was that I wasn't doing a KPN dosing regime. What do I need to do for that? He also suggested adding an air stone for better circulation but I've read that decreases CO2 so would that help?

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that I'm thinking of adding my current Aqueon quietflo 30 to supplement the new tank filtration so the beneficial bacteria (as well as the black algae spores) will come with it. This is my cheap way of increasing filtration without buy a new filter right away. There's a tetra 60 I believe that comes with the tank.

Also... I'll be using the stock LED lights for now but will be upgrading to a finnex planted soon I'm hoping. TIA!

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is a thread in the Algae sub-forum one-two punch alge treatment about using hydrogen peroxide and excel to get rid of algae. Not sure if it is effective for black algae but you might want to read up on it and treat your plants before you move them over to the new tank.

As for fertilizer, google EI(Estimative Index) dosing or PPS-pro(Perpetual Preservation System) dosing and decide what will work best for you.

Also, if you don't have one already, get a good test kit like the API Freshwater Masters test Kit so you can take measurements on your water. Test strips have been known to be inaccurate.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't need to dip the plants. Pour some excel into a water bottle cap and dip a q-tip or how many you need and wipe whatever you need to wipe. That's what i do, works perfectly fine.
I've got an awful lot to wipe with a q-tip! What's the next easier way. I'd love to just treat the tank but I've got a lot of shrimp and I'm scared they will die :(

I do treat with extra excel every day but it makes no difference....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.