The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I dont know if right place to post this, but need help so worth a try.

Over past 2 weeks i've had a few fish die, I have *NO IDEA* why. All the parameters are right and everything.

Last night I cam home and one of my Bosemani Rainbows was very sluggish and stayign toward the top, this mornign hew is still breathing but lost alot of color and is hangign out in the corner bottom now and not moving.

Any ideas what I can do? Is he sick maybe? If so, what does he need any ideas? He looks washed out, the front part of him more white then yellowish then usual.

Please help.

Jeff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
46 gallon

0 ammonium
0 nitrate
0 nitrite

eco complete

last water change a week ago

Used to do diy co2. i stopped it like 2 weeks ago in preparation to do pressurized, havn't dosed ferts in about a week.

ph is about 6.6

THe tanks been running about a year.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. It appears your rainbows have been in the same situation as mine and of the rest who suspected columnaris.

This information has been posted in most forums particularly Plecofanatics.com where I had a talk regarding the rainbows and their suspected columnaris disease.:smile:

Mycobacteriosis(fish tuberculosis) is a systemic, chronic, progressive bacterial disease, which presents varying clinical signs depending on species and aquarium conditions. The resulting disease may be characterized by emaciation, inflammation of the skin, exophthalmia (Pop-eye), ascites (Dropsy), open lesions, and ulceration. Fish may become sluggish and bloated and develop fin and tail rot as well as scale loss. Skin discolouration on one side of head or body can also be an indication of a mycobacterial infection. Internally, grey-white granulomas (nodules) develop in the liver, kidney, spleen, heart, and muscles. When the nodules develop in the organs, oedema (fluid) and peritonitis may ensue. If infection spreads to the skeletal system, deformities such as a bent spine may be noticed. Eventually, all infected fish will die.

There is no known treatment to stop it.

Rainbows and their columnaris

Rainbows with Pleco/ a Columnaris danger??

·
Registered
45 Posts
do water changes more often, like 20%. also, you do use chlor out for new water right? maby try some melafix and quickcure? are there any spots? any fin problems? could it have got caught in a plant and been exhausted? try putting some salt for stress.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. It appears your rainbows have been in the same situation as mine and of the rest who suspected columnaris.

This information has been posted in most forums particularly Plecofanatics.com where I had a talk regarding the rainbows and their suspected columnaris disease.:smile:

Mycobacteriosis(fish tuberculosis) is a systemic, chronic, progressive bacterial disease, which presents varying clinical signs depending on species and aquarium conditions. The resulting disease may be characterized by emaciation, inflammation of the skin, exophthalmia (Pop-eye), ascites (Dropsy), open lesions, and ulceration. Fish may become sluggish and bloated and develop fin and tail rot as well as scale loss. Skin discolouration on one side of head or body can also be an indication of a mycobacterial infection. Internally, grey-white granulomas (nodules) develop in the liver, kidney, spleen, heart, and muscles. When the nodules develop in the organs, oedema (fluid) and peritonitis may ensue. If infection spreads to the skeletal system, deformities such as a bent spine may be noticed. Eventually, all infected fish will die.

There is no known treatment to stop it.

Rainbows and their columnaris

Rainbows with Pleco/ a Columnaris danger??
sorry, didn't see this post before i posted.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
0 nitrate did look suspicious even out of tap it being 0. Maybe that test is wrong, I'll take it to the LFS and test it to make sure it's not the kit.

I know plants take up lots of nitrates, but 0 is suspect imo as well.

·
Registered
888 Posts
What test kit were you using, Jeff?:smile: Most test kits aren't accurate especially test strips.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
yeah, definitley put some circulation in the tank.

plant's also take in ammonia & nitrite... whatever form of nitrogen it can get. But I think most prefer ammonia.

If your nitrate is out of what, that means your ammonia, nitrite and possibly phosphate is out of whack too. that might be the problem...

you're not using any nitrate fixing chemicals are you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help.

He died though. I had an airstone in, using the aquatic Pharaceuticals or whatever master test kit.

I dont put anythign in the water but the prime, ferts [macro and micro from greg watson].

Everyone else seems to be doign fine, just hope that continues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts