The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XP4 and have had a XP3 in the past but since my last clean my XP4 isn't working. I called the help desk and they told me to check if the impeller was turning and the white blades definitely are when I plug it in but the plastic blue circle piece the sits on top of it doesn't turn. Is it supposed to? I have a sick turtle and he needs the filter bad! When I prime it and push the lever down the filter fills with water but when I plug it in it just doesn't pump it. Any help or suggestions would be very helpful!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When its plugged in the white blades spin around very fast but when its unplugged I can spin it about 270 degrees and then it stops like u said.

·
Are these real?
15,700 Posts
Then... that's not it. :icon_sad:

Is there an airspace visible in the filter housing? Did you check if the hoses are kinked somewhere? Happens if they are not entirely straight. Is the inlet strainer plugged with debris? When you assembled the filter, did you put the separator (with the grid) on top of the top basket?

Just throwing out some ideas.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
When you prime it do you allow the water to fill up both the inlet and the outlet hoses, all the way back up to the tank? I have found that the outlet hose has to fill with water too, or it may not pump against the air in that line. I bleed the outlet hose as it primes to be sure water gets all the way up it.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
I had this same exact thing happen to me. Make sure it is all seated correctly, particularly the impeller inside the housing. If that doesn't work, give it a good whack after it is all together. :) Basically, just keep trying, it will start up and then work good as new. Only occasionally happens to mine, and only after cleaning. It's not due to priming or broken impeller or anything, it is just that the magnets lock up sometimes when you clean the biofilm off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had one of my xp3's stop recently....and didn't notice for a few days!! I have other filtration on the tank so I didn't notice the loss of one pump at first. Took it apart and found that there is a round plug, maybe half inch or so in diameter, in the top motor section that fell out. I don't know why it's there to begin with, but if it comes loose or falls out...like mine did, you won't get any water flow even though the pump is spinning. Stuck it back in and everything was fine. I never even noticed it before...didn't have a reason to I guess. Bet that's your problem if the motor is spinning it can't be much else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts