The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post. I'm having a heck of a time trying to put together a planted system. I found an Aqueon kit but the reviews said the trickling water was too noisy.

I'm looking for a tank/stand no longer than 24" wide. I want to be able to house plants requiring high light. Swords and Vals are my favorites. That said, I plan to use a commercial yeast system for carbon injection. It's rated for less than 40g. I hoping to spend less than $200 for the set-up, and under $150 is even better. I plan to use Eco-complete substrate.

I'm planning to keep as many fish as possible so I want a 25-30g tank.

So, what light fixtures, hoods, and bulbs do you have or would recommend?

What filters do you recommend? The tank will be in my bedroom so I want a silent pump. I hate the sound of trickling water and loud hums.

Any thought on this setup or is custom better? Please look up the AqueonProducts Live Plant Aquarium Deluxe on their website. i can't give a link as i have fewer than 5 posts.

For fish I'd like a bunch of tiny fish, a few bigger ones, shrimps, and a dwarf crayfish.

Thanks.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

That's a really tight budget. I'd look for a tank and stand setup used on Craigslist, I think that's about the only way you'll stay in budget. Most "all in one" aquarium kits don't come with strong enough light fixtures to do much with live plants. The ones that do (come with CF or T5 lighting) would probably blow your budget.

Eheim canister filters are the quietest filters I've ever owned. They're also one of the more pricey filters, b/c you pay for quality (though IMO they're well worth it). An Eheim Classic 2213 would work for a moderately stocked & planted tank, a 2215 would be better for heavier planting and stocking. Eheim Eccos are another option; I'm running an Ecco 2264 on my own 29gal tank ATM. I get most of my filters used. I keep an eye on the Swap n Shop forum here and on Ebay.

Really hard to recommend a light fixture till you've got the tank picked out. But if you're wanting to stay on such a tight budget, I'd advise setting up a low light/low tech tank.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I plan to use a commercial yeast system for carbon injection. It's rated for less than 40g. I hoping to spend less than $200 for the set-up, and under $150 is even better. I plan to use Eco-complete substrate.
I suspect, that you can save money on the substrate by going with something cheaper and use that money for lighting.

What do you have in mind for a "commercial yeast system"?

I used the Red Sea kit for a short while, but it did not produce enough CO2 for my 38g tank. Now, I've set up a couple of DIY CO2's hooked together and appear to be getting better results. Unless, you are looking at a system I'm not aware of, I'm not sure its worth the money - if you are on a tight budget.

Also, I second the idea of looking on Craigslist. I'm not sure about in your area, but in mine there are quite a few good deals on aquariums - that often come with lots of the equipment that you will need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.