The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello so I'm new to planted tanks and this just started happening just yesterday in my tank is a 29g planted and the last water change was on the second of this month i have 5 guppies and one angelfish, okay so the thing is that just yesterday I found one of my guppies died and nothing looked weird I checked if it was ich or fin rot..nothing I just moved on since I thought maybe it was his time well today once I turned on my lights I see two guppies upside down but still swimming 馃槺 . So what I need help is to tell what is wrong with them really I done so much research and I really can't say I have tested the water for everything and everything is normal ... Please help馃檹馃徎

Registered
Fish that cannot swim right side up may have any of several things going on, but here are a few ideas.
The Guppies may have an infection that is affecting their swim bladder, so they cannot stay right side up.
The water may be too soft for them, so too much water is entering their cells, and they cannot get rid of enough water.
The Angelfish might be attacking them, perhaps ramming them in the side, causing internal injuries.

Guppies are hard water fish that can tolerate slightly softer water.
Poecilia reticulata ? Guppy (Lebistes poecilioides, Girardinus guppii ) ? Seriously Fish
Angelfish are soft water fish that can tolerate slightly harder water.
Pterophyllum ?scalare? ? Angelfish ? Seriously Fish
There is some overlap in their tolerances, but it is like walking a tightrope to keep both species in one water chemistry. Anything changes, and one species or the other will not be in the right sort of water.

Angelfish are predatory, and may eat small fish like Guppies. They are also territorial, and may chase or even kill fish that enter their nesting area. Even without a mate, a male Angel may claim a territory (roughly 18-24" across) and want to keep out intruders.

I would not keep Guppies with Angelfish.

Move the Guppies to a separate tank and make sure the water parameters suited them. Guppies can handle quite a bit of salt. I would add salt to their water because of the stress (from whatever source). Start with 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons, and add that much each day until there is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons in the tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you Diana but I recently got rid of one angelfish because i knew he was acting very aggressive with my guppies but the one left now I really don't know but he is so tamed he eats with the guppies and their not scared at all they even steal food from his mouth and he just stares at me like give me more, in the contrary the other angelfish they even wouldn't stay near him they would all flee and he would chase and bite them but like I said I did remove him a while back. I did add the guppies that are swimming upside down to another tank that I have and added salt because I researched that salt is really bad for plants so I wouldn't want them to die as well another Detail I forgot to add is that their all packed together swimming just in the surface their not going down even if I got the hammock to get the two swimming upside down they stayed in the top, and my tank is really tall, that's another worry of mine.

One question for how long do i leave them in the tank with the salt or if it's okay to leave them how many days of treatment?? >_<

Registered
You need do an Epsom slat bath to help the swim bladder.
1 teaspoon in a gallon of water for 10 minutes, repeat twice daily.

These modern guppies are quite fragile due to all the inbreeding.
They are nothing like ditch guppies anymore.

Registered
Chances are they were damaged in transit from overseas.
They really pack the cheaper fishes very densely.

If you want guppies look up the livebearer association, I think they even have sales links from there.
As stated, apart from temperature tolerance, there is little overlap in ideal parameters for angels and guppies.

Registered
Hmmm. I live in south Florida, and I know multiple fish farms ( as in more than one doing the same exact thing), with drilled wells on property, that specialize in breeding and selling angels, and our water is as hard as rock. The guy I personally know, has great success, and all of his hard water angels transfer to my soft water aquariums without any issue. This guy buys and sells angels across the globe; Pakistan, Germany, all over.

Registered
No one said it can not be done, it is just not ideal.
One almost has to breed some angels to make budget when you farm fish.
They are worth a bit more than the average fish stock, and produce in incredible numbers, but the cost of brine shrimp eggs is high.
It is probably outright your biggest monthly expense when you farm angels and the like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.