The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Im 3 weeks in to this hobby and I would ask for you to critique the aquascaping of my 3 weeks old planted tank,so I can also improve my skills, I wouldnt mind harsh comments :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
492 Posts
Looks good. Some smaller rocks/pebbles might make the placement of the larger ones look more natural.
Pity about the power head as it detracts from the scene. If that is a Maxijet you can use it as an external pump. Check the funnel shaped intake housing and if there is a o-ring around the part of the power head housing that it fits over then it can be used outside the tank plumbed to an intake and out flow pipes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you everyone! Right now I have learned that I can use smaller rocks to make the look more natural.I havent tought of that, and wouldnt have been able to if I ddnt went here!

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Also, the rock formation should be centered, not on the left.

The plant texture and color should be more coordinated so that it focuses attention on certain areas. E.g. the red plant attracts attention so it should be placed behind the rocks. The dark green ones to the side because it's not as interesting.

4/10

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, the rock formation should be centered, not on the left.

The plant texture and color should be more coordinated so that it focuses attention on certain areas. E.g. the red plant attracts attention so it should be placed behind the rocks. The dark green ones to the side because it's not as interesting.

4/10
Hello veteran stranger, thank you for your critique!!I was actually looking for a critique like this..I put the rocks on the left side because i heard somewhere that i should never put a hardscape in the middle of my tank,I might have misunderstood it though.I might rearrange my aquascape by following your advice, here I draw a very rough sketch on how I view your advice, I might be wrong but here it is anyway.

Im planning to cut my ludwigia arc in half and place them on both sides of my alternantheras, kinda of like a sandwich, but I am having toughts that it might look too unnatural.

Was this close enough on what you were trying to say to me?

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
It's somewhat close. I assume you're going to keep the rock formation similar? Because that could also use some rearrangement to look more natural.

The L. arcuata should be kept in a group since its narrow, sharp leaves attract attention so you don't want to split that up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just learned about Iwagumi aquariums, Its still beyond my skills to make one, but I will atleast try to mimic the rock formations on an iwagumi tank, something like main stones, sacrificial stones etc..I will study more about that and when Im ready Im gonna go for it, some of my baby cardinals might not survive the stress though.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I disagree with centering the rocks. Most aquascaping tips that i have read point to off centering your hardscape as to appeal to a more naturalistic viewpoint. It is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye to have your hardscape off centered that way your eyes can take in the whole scape and not focus solely on the center of the tank. This is what I have learned anyway.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I disagree with centering the rocks. Most aquascaping tips that i have read point to off centering your hardscape as to appeal to a more naturalistic viewpoint. It is more aesthetically pleasing to the eye to have your hardscape off centered that way your eyes can take in the whole scape and not focus solely on the center of the tank. This is what I have learned anyway.
I totally agree with these comments. If anything, I would have maybe angled them a bit more from front to back, rather then left to right, but l think they are more interesting off-center as you have them.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This isn't about following any "off-center" rules, but one of aesthetics. E.g. this is centered and is the best possible arrangement. If it were placed to the side, it would actually look off-balanced.

You are quite right about the scape you have pictured however I think what the op needs to do is determine what type of scape he wants to achieve.

Given the current scape which looks more like a nature aquarium, I would suggest the off centering of the rock pile and maybe some duplication of it because in nature we often see clusters of rocks and plants. Same thing for the plants, try to create more than one group of the same plant and place them at random but remembering to bear on mind that going from short to talk creates depth.

Additionally, you can use one of your red plants as a focal point by keeping all of it together and creating a lush bright colored bush/hedge.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Given the current scape which looks more like a nature aquarium, I would suggest the off centering of the rock pile and maybe some duplication of it because in nature we often see clusters of rocks and plants. Same thing for the plants, try to create more than one group of the same plant and place them at random but remembering to bear on mind that going from short to talk creates depth.
I was thinking that the formation of the rocks lends itself much better as an island arrangement, not an iwagumi. The rock arrangement, itself, simply isn't an iwagumi layout, though that can be changed. But if it's changed, then the plants and planting would have to be changed to reflect that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I was thinking that the formation of the rocks lends itself much better as an island arrangement, not an iwagumi. The rock arrangement, itself, simply isn't an iwagumi layout, though that can be changed. But if it's changed, then the plants and planting would have to be changed to reflect that.

Oh I agree with you. Iwagumi isn't reflected here at all, that's why I said a nature aquarium. But you know what there isn't a right or wrong way to aquascape, you just tinker with it till it works for you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.