Diatoms are usually small, stuck-on spots, not long stringy stuff. I think this is a different group of algae.
Keep on removing as much of it by hand as you can.
Do not use H2O2, Excel or any other chemical method of control while the tank is still cycling. You could try altering the fertilizer or the CO2. I am not sure if that will be the final answer, though. The nitrogen is not the same while the tank is cycling, so I am sure conditions will be different once the ammonia and nitrite are under control. This stuff still grows in a cycled tank.
Maybe it is rhizoclonium.
Hopefully the livestock will be interested in it, when it is time to add them.
I seem to be having the same thing and within the last week or so its been unstoppable. (see pic)
I spent 3 hours this morning cleaning it out and did about a 60% WC. Dosed excel with initial dose according to bottle afterwards, woops?
Tank is new as well, about 30 days.
Should one avoid ferts while this is occurring? I stooped dosing for about 3 days last week, but the plants really started looking bad, and I thought, well its better to have healthy plants and algae instead of dead plants and algae. :confused1:
Ok, a quick update, I just went and tried to grab some with my hand, and I couldn't because as soon as I touched it, it melted or disingrated. I could NOT grip it and feel the threads or slime. It just turned to dust.
Looks very much like my Hair algae (filamentous algae) except for the tan color. I have done 8 50% wc and there's still some around, but it's not spreading.
There is something out of whack with my tank that's causing this algae. I have to control it using Amano shrimp, manual removal, or whatever it takes until I can correct the parameters that are off. Something is definitely going on in the tank. A lot of the plants have stopped growing, which leads me to think that something the plants need, like ferts or Equilibrium, is off. I have to go over my calculations for the dose again.
I think your algae crumbling at touch is a very good sign that the algae is dying.
I blame this on me disturbing a huge amount of substrate when I filled the tank up, leeching abnormal amounts of silicates in the water and adding new plants later on and disturbing the substrate each time. :angryfire
I have it in my new 20L. I believe it is a diatom. Fortunately, it doesn't really attach to the plants firmly, and you can just suck it up with a hose. or rinse it off in the sink. Remove most of it, and add more plants... Once the tank matures, these things tend to go away, plus they are a choice edible for many fish/shrimps/snails.