The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new here to the forums and to keeping shrimp, and I have what might be a very obvious question regarding sexing shrimp.

So, I have 5 red cherry shrimp that I got about a week and a half ago. They've settled in fine, but after watching their coloration develop, I'm beginning to suspect that I have all females.

So, my question is about the saddle. The saddle is the white patch on the female's back. Male red cherry shrimp will have no white whatsoever, right? My current understanding is that any white patch indicates a female. Is this correct?

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Yes. A white patch on a shrimps back (right behind the head) is the eggs developing. Unless it is a fungus or something you most likely have all females. Generally you can tell gender by coloration. Females are often much deeper colored and usually larger as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Definitely all females then. Looks like I will have to try to locate a male. I thought that out of 5, I'd end up with at least one of each.

Is it true that most fish stores carrying only female cherry shrimp because they are more colorful? How would you recommend going about locating a male? Just keep buying more until I get lucky? :icon_conf

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Definitely all females then. Looks like I will have to try to locate a male. I thought that out of 5, I'd end up with at least one of each.

Is it true that most fish stores carrying only female cherry shrimp because they are more colorful? How would you recommend going about locating a male? Just keep buying more until I get lucky? :icon_conf
Petsmart does not do this. I work there over the summer. Only guppies are separated and the stores are either female or male when it comes to hamsters, mice, etc. Can't speak for others though.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
buy from the forum here and say that you want at least one male. The folk here are cheaper, have better quality and you DEFINATELY get your moneys worth. Buy within The planted tank swap and shop.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Is it true that most fish stores carrying only female cherry shrimp because they are more colorful?
This would be a lot more trouble than it's worth, and at the stores I've seen cherry shrimp in, there is a healthy breeding population that they are selling from rather than ordering the shrimp and selling them quickly. Perhaps at a store that does a higher volume of shrimp it might be worthwhile for them to try to sell females only, but I don't see that as being a common practice, honestly.

Best of luck getting a male, I'd second the idea of ordering from the swap and shop here on this site. It won't cost much and you'll almost surely get a male if you ask for one.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I highly recommend buying from the people here on TPT. You will get what you ask for & probably even more, you'll be very happy. I speak from experience, I buy here whenever I can. Good luck. I just my first 10 RCS today, I'm soooooooooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!! & yes, they came from a fellow TPT member.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.