The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time fish keeper but haven't had a tank in about 10 years. I now have a man cave and finally have a great spot for a tank.

I bought a used Oceanic 58 gallon tank and stand from Craigslist.

I'm wanting to start out with a low tech, low maintenance planted community tank. I've bought a Marineland C360 cannister filter. I've also got 60lbs of Tahitian Moon sand.

I plan to use osmocote plus from the beginning. From what I've read, I use 5 grams for each cubic foot of aquarium floor. That works out to be 22.5 grams for my 58. I don't want to use CO2 at this time but that might change in the future if the plant bug catches.

1. My main concern at this time is lighting. I've read a lot of recommendations on here for T5NO but none of the links work and I can't seem to find any. I'd like to get a T5HO dual light and only use one side. Are there any out there where you can do this? I can go to two lights if I decide to use CO2.

2. Do I need to add any additives like Flourite to my sand? Will the osmocote plus be enough? I don't want to use soil because I'm sure I'll be changing things around.

Thanks for any recommendations on my setup.

Kychris

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for! And I even searched Amazon specifically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts