The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to this forum and kinda new to planted tanks. I have two Coralife t5 NO dual fixtures: 2 6700, 1 10000, and 1 Aquaglo. Just seeing if you guys can advise me on my photo period.

I do have DIY CO2 - PH 6.6

A: Is this enough light for popular foreground plants(HC, Glosso)?
B: What should be my photo-period?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
205 Posts
How many watts total are your light fixtures? I tried to look some up but I'm not sure what length of a fixture you have. Giving a pH is a start to figureing out approx how much CO2 is dissolved in the water, we also need the KH measurement of your water.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Podio_CO2_KH_PH_Chart.html

KH is on the left and PH is on the top. Where the two meet is an approximation of your CO2 measurement. Ideal measurements are 30ppm of CO2.

That's about as much info as I can give you without more info.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I cannot test my KH to determine dissolved CO2 and won't be able to do so for a while but I have a gut feeling I'm in the appropriate range. the total wattage is 4 x 18W(72W) NO T5. I can easily add an additional 20 watts of T8 Floraglo or 6700 if I have to, but seeing as I have two coralife fixtures can't imagine this would be necessary.

I'm just wanting to know basically if 2 hours 36W + 4 hours 72 W + 3 hour seista + 6 hours 36W is sufficient or what not? :eek:

·
Registered
205 Posts
IF you can keep the CO2 consistent I would do the burst. 6 - 8 hours total light time with a 1 - 2 hour burst starting on the low side of things and changing things in 30 minute increments one week at a time. If you have good CO2 you can grow HC or most any carpet plant. It's hard to take things slow, but in the end patience is usually rewarded. Have you considered using Excel?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I agree with what others have already said. Using just one of those fixtures is sufficient, but, having the other for a noon-burst is just icing on the cake! You could definitely use both during the entire photoperiod, but if so, try to keep it to about 8 hours of light max.

Those fixtures are absolutely THE fixtures to use on both 29g tanks and 20-long tanks, no doubt. Tried and true.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts