The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help in determining what I should buy for a gift as far as tongs/tweezers go? We are newbies and setting up a 55 gallon planted tank for the 1st time. I saw the tongs/tweezers being used in videos to aid in planting, etc. Not sure if I should get Fuvals stainless steel tongs at around 11 inches (available at my local store), or something longer (order online). Should I get longer ones, and do you really want the end to be more pointedly precise like tweezers as opposed to tongs? THANK YOU so much if you could help in answering this as I need to act quickly!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the plastic 27" tongs with interchangeable grabbing/cutting heads. Cheap, work great and would never want to be without them. They aren't meant for planting, but are great for clipping and removing clippings/etc from the tank. They really reduced the number of times I have to stick my hands in the water.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Try to get the non-serrated tips if you can. The serrated ones don't release the stems as easily as the smooth ones.

I also have the plastic "tong/scissors" John mentioned. I think I got them at Petco for $8...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The ones I use the most are 7" sharp pointed tweezers. I have all different length blunt nose ones. I use those mostly for picking stuff out. Sometimes I use the `12-15" ones in my deeper 120g when I try to plant way in the back where can't see. But the 7" sharp nose ones are the ones I use the most for planting.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I find tongs good for two things:

1 - planting very fine plants like baby tears or hairgrass. You do not need extra long ones for this use in your tank.

2 - reaching stuff in tall tanks. I don't mind getting wet so this need would not apply to your 55g if you feel the same way. If you prefer to stay dry, then you will want longer tongs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.