The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to CA this Fri. morning & coming back on Tues morning. My question is would it be OK not to dose for 4days? Would my plants be OK? I've been dosing EI for about a year. Which is better vacation blocks or feeder? Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three days is not going to be a problem. Dose/Feed before you leave and resume when you return.
OK. Any thoughts on w/c is better vacation blocks or automatic feeder? Thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fish can go easily for 4 days without feeding. If you want to feed, go with an automatic feeder, don't use vacation blocks.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I just came back from a 5 day trip about a week ago and did not feed or dose ferts while away and everything looked perfectly fine when I returned. I just did a water change, fed and started up the ferts again as soon as I got home.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Thanks, guys. You put my mind @ ease.

·
Registered
618 Posts
quick sub question, is it ok not to feed for two consecutive days every single week? my tank at my office brought on this question. because lord knows i don't wanna come up here on saturday and sunday. it tried a vacation block once, LAME! and i've been thinking about getting an automatic feeder. but if i don't need to...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Dont want to hijack the thread but im going away for 12 days and need to know about ei and WC for my main tank and also WC on my 30g RCS tank.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious. I know alot of you don't like using vacation blocks, can you guys explain the drawbacks? Because thats what I'll be using when I go today (didn't have time to buy a feeder:icon_frow ) Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
quick sub question, is it ok not to feed for two consecutive days every single week? my tank at my office brought on this question. because lord knows i don't wanna come up here on saturday and sunday. it tried a vacation block once, LAME! and i've been thinking about getting an automatic feeder. but if i don't need to...
I'm really new to this whole thing but my tank is also in my office so I'll just tell you my experience. The tank's been up and running for a little over two months and from the beginning I've been feeding the fish twice a week and they are thriving. I'm still learning about plants but at the moment they are getting attention twice a week as well. So far, so good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The standard vacation feeders use plaster and tend to really foul up the water more than anything. You really have to be careful and make sure you plan time to do a water change when you get back. I've always been of the opinion that one of the benefits of keeping such natural tanks as we do is that at least small fish can live off the land, so to speak. At least for a short while.
BTW Tetra now makes a plasterless vacation food I've seen at petco.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts