The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I found out that Swordtails and Platies can interbreed (I think!) I have one female swordtail in a tank with 3 male platies and this morning I noticed a little fry popping up out of the rocks and java moss. There are a few more platies going into that tank, so should be some very interesting colorations soon :)

I also noticed I have 15 cory eggs along the back glass and on some of the Amazon swords. I have decided not to mess with these guys, and "let nature take it's course" to see if any make it (this time). For the next batch, I will likely get more involved :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Congratulations on your cory eggs! And it is interesting that the swordtail and platy can interbreed.

Interesting indeed. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If I were you, I'd gently collect the corry eggs and float them in a yoghurt container or in a breeding trap cause those mollies and swords will eat them.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
^^ Agreee with collecting the eggs so that they don't get eaten.

Congrats on all the fry and eggs :) So exciting :D
And it's very interesting to see what fry will look like once it grows up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
^^ Agreee with collecting the eggs so that they don't get eaten.
Ofcourse that would be YOUR answer Funky!!! lol

Thats great on the eggs and fry, congrats! And swordtails, mollies, platties can all interbreed. Alot of the domesticated strains available now include some pretty diverse genetics, including combos of these fish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to prepare a bit better for the next batch and try my hand at raising those :) These first ones were such a surprise that I decided to see if any made it unaided. The next batch I will be involved and try and help them along. Thanks for the advice all, I am getting a small container and airstone ready for the next litter.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Swordtails and Platys do interbreed, they are closely related species, and actually the majority of fancy swordails sold in pet store are hybrids to certain point.

The resulting mix usually have a body that´s in between the length of the swordtail and the platy, usually not as round as the platy, and the sword on the males grow very little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts