The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I’m building this new tank slowly so that I can buy the products that I really want. I cut corners on my other two and the results show. I’m buying my hardscape early on so that I can really take my time. Anyway, it keeps me engaged with the tank between purchases. I have this wood that I really like but part of me wants to go with something that is visually heavier. Either way, I will be purchasing stones next. Don’t mind the light. I borrowed it from the shrimps. I will be going with pendant RGB. Tell me what ya think!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really like this! I can't tell if it is one piece of wood or more but if you want it more dense, you could add additional pieces of the same wood. I don't think you need it though and I could see the rocks going at the base. I love that you got enough height on it to go over the top of the aquarium. I will be following.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks very good but "too much " will depend upon how you plant. Most tanks seem to use wood as an armature for hanging plants which eventually cover the wood.
This will be my first high tech tank. I will be using lots of stems. My biggest concern about that is the possibility of plant maintenance becoming difficult with so much wood. Honestly, I’m considering scrapping the wood altogether and going with stone only. I love the wood but my first tank wasn’t planned with maintenance in mind and it really shows.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Actually it's the stem plants that will bring maintenance. You could use Buce and Anubias, which are slow growing, to attach to the wood and a modest amount of stems in the back to eat up the nitrates.

To me it is a very nice composition with the wood you have.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually it's the stem plants that will bring maintenance. You could use Buce and Anubias, which are slow growing, to attach to the wood and a modest amount of stems in the back to eat up the nitrates.

To me it is a very nice composition with the wood you have.
I don’t mind the weekly trimming and the tank isn’t too terribly large. Getting in there with tools and keeping all of those nooks and crannies clean is where I think it could become problematic. I do plan to use a good amount of Buce, Anubias, and Java toward the front. Java is the reason I wanted the wood in the first place. I’m going to use moss SPARINGLY and only where I can get to it easily. I wound up with moss everywhere in my first tank. Everything about that tank is problematic.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I don’t mind the weekly trimming and the tank isn’t too terribly large. Getting in there with tools and keeping all of those nooks and crannies clean is where I think it could become problematic. I do plan to use a good amount of Buce, Anubias, and Java toward the front. Java is the reason I wanted the wood in the first place. I’m going to use moss SPARINGLY and only where I can get to it easily. I wound up with moss everywhere in my first tank. Everything about that tank is problematic.
Bottle brushes!! You can bend them and cover more space than a toothbrush. Don't know if you use them one already, but they're one of my favorite cleaning items.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts