The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This maybe a bad idea, but I need a better, cheap"ish" planting medium, and I was thinking playsand. I have a sandbox filled with playsand and I am wondering if I can use that. One thing I am concerned about is tah grain size. Could the it kill my fish and filter? I cleaned the amount I need with a lot of water and some chlorine. Is it useable and if it is, how would I add it to my subtrate?
Thanks,
Jake.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've read about a number of people using play sand as an inexpensive substrate although I've never tried it myself. I don't see it harming your fish (some that do a lot of rooting around may prefer it) and if you keep the filter intake high enough above the substrate you shouldn't have problems with it damaging your filter. I use a different sand in three of my tanks and it hasn't damaged my AquaClear 50 that is on one of them.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Playsand would work but it's a bit finer grained than than we normally recommend as it's generally .5 to 1mm in size a better sand would be Pool Filter Sand (PFS) sold at any local spa or pool company. It's generally 1mm to 2mm in size and costs about the same. If you go with playsand make sure not to make it to deep or it will compact and create gas bubbles.

- Brad

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use play sand in my 75 planted. It's easy to plant into, but I would highly recommend pool filter sand instead. A 40 or 50lbs bag of play sand will run you $4 or so. I think a 40lbs bag of pool filter sand might run you $8 from a Namco or the like.

I have to sift my play sand once a month or so because I can see the bubbles building up below the top and I also get some green/brown algae under the top. All in all, they both work fine, but the larger grain size of the pool filter sand makes things look nicer and it's still easy to plant in.

The one thing I like play sand better for: it's darker, which I think looks nicer.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have a question, is the pool filter sand a natural color? If it is, I will try to get my hands on some soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts