The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got play sand to put under my EcoComplete (I needed more depth), because I thought people recommended it. Now, upon further reading, it seems that most people who've used it, don't recommend it. It seems like that's mainly because it is so fine, and it makes the water cloudy. I'm planning on putting 1 inch of sand under 2 inches of EcoComplete. Should this create a problem? I wouldn't think the sand should really ever get disturbed, as this is going to be planted, so I'm not going to vacuum the substrate. I also heard that over time, "anaerobic patches" occur in the sand, making the water smell bad. Is there anyway to avoid this?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Doesn't have to be foam, it good be regular rocks placed randomly here and there so you won't use as much substrate. By looking at the first picture, there are little foam crumbs. I'm assuming that it is a hard block of foam that they carved. Or it could be the spray on kind that is used in vivariums alot.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I get bags of small sized rocks (maybe 1/2-1" in diameter) and then throw em in a mesh bag and use that as a base. Still allows room for roots to grow inbetween the rocks and holds form perfectly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.