The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking of using play sand in my new tank as i don't really like the color of what i have now. the issue is play sand is much finer than the stuff i have.

my concern is it will compact and develop pockets of gas in it and such. it won't be planted either, so i'm not concerned about root rot or anything of that nature. if anyone with experience could give me their two cents i'd appreciate it :icon_smil

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've used play sand for years and have never had any problems.

Personally I rinse it for a good 30 minutes or so in a 5 gallon bucket to get the fine particles out. Just fill the bucket about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way with sand, stick a hose in it, mix the sand around and dump out the lighter particles that are suspended in the water. Do this until the water in the bucket is relatively clear.

You don't have to do that, but it will make the tank clear up in under an hour instead of a few days. Also, sometimes there will be some stuff that is not sand in the bag that will be removed by a good rinsing.

·
Banned
934 Posts
Although I have used playsand without to many issues. I also hate the stuff at the same time. if you ever change anything in your tank or decide to rescape it is a disaster. The stuff compacts like crazy too so if your going with something like a dry start it simply will not work. The day I got my first bag of pool filter sand. I then understood why so many people use the stuff it is night and day.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Although I have used playsand without to many issues. I also hate the stuff at the same time. if you ever change anything in your tank or decide to rescape it is a disaster. The stuff compacts like crazy too so if your going with something like a dry start it simply will not work. The day I got my first bag of pool filter sand. I then understood why so many people use the stuff it is night and day.
i won't be planting anything in it (trying to keep this one simple). why exactly is it bad for rescaping? does it just cloud the water?

·
Registered
465 Posts
My pfs in my 125 heavily planted worked great for a few months but now I have to stir daily to keep gas bubbles out if i don't the gas sits under the sand and rots out the roots.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have play sand, I only keep about a half an inch in the tank and it works fine. I can pile some up in a mound in the back and still have the floor covered. I got a 50 lb bag of natural-colored sand for $5. I did have to rinse the heck out of it, but it looks good and helps to brighten the tank up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.