The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
With a big tank and plenty of plants/hiding spots i guess it can be done. But whats the point in getting shrimp if you never get to see them due to them hiding ?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Breaded shrimp? ;-)

I would think that Platies would eat the shrimp, and only the Platies would successfully breed. The shrimp might breed if there are enough hiding places, but the shrimp population would not last long.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Currently, I have 5 small platy's and 20 something shrimp in a 20L. the platys currently leave the shrimp alone because the shrimp are larger. I was just wondering if someone's gunna get some action around here or what! lol my girlfriend is out of town...

Mmmmm, breaded shrimp. I'm off to red lobster. haha

·
Registered
276 Posts
When the platy size up I doubt the shrimp will survive. My platy are like aquatic carnivorous cows, mowing down.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My 36 gal has both platies and RCS and both are breeding. It is a very dense tank though, plants, rocks, Cholla, lots of hiding places. I'm sure most of the shrimp babies get eaten, but I still see new juvies all the time. The adults are out and about all the time

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 36 gal has both platies and RCS and both are breeding. It is a very dense tank though, plants, rocks, Cholla, lots of hiding places. I'm sure most of the shrimp babies get eaten, but I still see new juvies all the time. The adults are out and about all the time
Do you have any pictures? My tank definitely need to be planted more heavily to both get a handle on my algae issue and it sounds like this will help with the breeding situation.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Do you have any pictures? My tank definitely need to be planted more heavily to both get a handle on my algae issue and it sounds like this will help with the breeding situation.
Yep! Click the 36 gallon bow link in my signature below

·
Registered
124 Posts
Likewise with my experience. The shrimp did not last long once those platies hit the water. Swordtails are worse, but much the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts