The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience in how adaptable these livebearers are? I see a couple of platys in a low ph co2 injected plant holding tank at one LFS and I know the other LFS also mixes livebearers and and softwater fishes. I've heard of people using black mollies for algae control, maybe even for snail control. But I'm confused, don't these fish require hard water and salt?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Optimal? Yes. Required? I wouldn't say that. They are highly adaptable fish in my experience.

My tap is naturally pretty hard. But my tank, with the driftwood, CO2, etc, is significantly softened and the pH went from 8.2 to 7.2 I have black mollies and sunset platies in there and never seen healthier black mollies. They are solid velvety black, the male is always displaying and has blue speckles in his tail fin and yellow edging on his dorsal. They are having babies like wildfire and have voracious appetites.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.