The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 29 gallon, fully cycled, planted tank with 6 otos, 2 male platy, two female guppies and one male guppy. I want to add 4 more platies because I read they do best in schools but I don't want the headache of more fry. Would it be possible to add four more males without major fighting? Of the two I have now one is definitely dominant. I can't find anything online about this so I was hoping someone here would have experience. I have a 10 gallon with 8 male guppies and they seem to get along fine so if it weren't for the dominance thing going on with my two platies now I would go for it.

I would also like to relocate the three guppies to my other smaller aquariums and get either a single angelfish or a pair of gourami. Would the platies nip at their fins? They seem to pretty much keep to themselves now but aside from the guppies they haven't had any terribly intriguing fish to mess with.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think it would look good if you just added somewhere around eight or ten more platys, male and female, but of the same variety, but didn't add the angel or the gourami. I think they look a lot better in groups. Plus, you might be able to trade in the fry to your LFS.

I used to have a few platies and gouramis and they didn't bother each other, so I think they would be fine with each other.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
If you mix males and females you'll be overpopulated in like a week (only a slight exaggeration, LOL)

You should be able to stick with males and no issues. They'll probably chase each other around some, but I doubt there will be much actual aggression, especially without any females to compete over. Platies generally aren't as aggressive as many other livebearer males (such as swordtails and many of the "wild" livebearing species).

And gourami and angels are generally fine with them, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked around to see if any lfs will take guppy fry and they won't, I would guess it's the same for Platys as well. (A breeder gave me 12 guppies when I first set up my tanks a couple months ago. At first I was appreciative, then I realized that person must have hated me - lol. The first batch of fry were adorable. I have since outgrown that sentiment.)

I stopped by the library and checked out "Guppies, Mollies, and Platys" by Harro Hieronimus. According to the author a school of males will do fine together:

Preventing Unwanted Offspring...Keep only males. For reasons of competitiveness, this requires at least six fish.
Thanks for the input! I'll probably pick up several more males this week :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do they actually survive if you just let them give birth in the tank? The other fish won´t eat the fry? Platies are less aggressive than swordtails but since most platies are hybrids they could still be quite aggressive with each other. I´ve had groups of several males/females and there was an aggressive male always but not as aggressive as a swordtails though. Keeping a group of females won´t work because eventually one of them will become a male, or they will still be getting pregnant with old sperm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts