The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 90 gallon heavily planted tank and just bought 1 male and 2 female Platys today. I do not mind having a few offspring survive, but definitely do not want to deal with a population explosion. Should I return the females? Or will the fish eat the fry and keep the Platy population in check?

Other inhabitants: 10 Harlequin Rasbora, 7 Zebra Danios, 4 Boesemani Rainbows, 8 Gold Barbs, 5 Roseline sharks.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
The roselines and rainbows might snack on a few fry but won't be able to keep the population in check. a trio becomes a sextet which becomes a dozen then a gross and then a cloud very quickly. I'd just net up a few and sell them to the lfs for like a quarter each...

·
Registered
636 Posts
My platies have been reproducing, but like RandomMan said, at a much slower rate than my mollies or guppies. I've got a reasonably peaceful betta in the tank my livebearers are in, and he (as well as the other livebearers) seem to be doing a pretty good job of keeping the population in check.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I've got a pair that spit out 40 fry every month to six weeks. The Angel and Plakat eat all of them. I placed her in a fry trap and raised 40. They are bigger now and I'm going to reintroduce them to the tank along with an Angel and some RCS. These are all going to be distractions so the other Angel can get situated and I have space to swap the bully Angel into the 10g tank so that the 2 Angels can start getting along again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I had platies I put a male betta in the tank. Problem solved!

ETA: I also had blue danios, cory cats, and brilliant rasboras: nothing with long fins for the betta to nip.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i mean if the Betta works, go for it! Its just ONE fish. Have him as hired help (place him in if you feel it's getting out of hand, and pull him once stable ). But borrow a Betta, lol!

When i had a saltwater tank, i had an outbreak of Asterina. I borrowed a friends Harlequin shrimp.. Took the little guy a month to get the job done then i returned him. lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
I had a betta in a tank with Platys and Guppies. He ignored the platys, both young and old. He also ignored the baby guppies. He however HATED all adult guppies, male or female. He killed all but one female who learned to avoid him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested in this topic as well... I have three male platies in a 20 gallon tank (no other fish currently). I'm debating adding females, but if I did I'd want to return two of my males to my LFS, as I've read you should have 2-3 females per male and I don't want 9+ platies and the ensuing offspring!

I'm also thinking of just keeping the males without any females (perfect population control), but was wondering if that would be stressful to the fish. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions in keeping a group of all male platies?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh well ... I decided that I was not up to the risk of having a Platy population explosion in my tank ... too many hiding places in the heavily plated tank. I returned the 3 Platys to my LFS today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.