The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a couple of problems with my male Red Wag Platy. First, I had noticed that he has bloat(or looks like it). His stomach is huge and not normal size! I am looking bloat up to see what are some cures! The other issue I have is that he tends to chase my Male Sunburst Wag Platy around all the time. Since I got home this morning I decided to rearrange the plants to try and give them a new look to see if that helps. Well it didnt so Im stuck.

What Should I do about this troublesome platy and how he is acting towards the other Platy? Should I set up a small Quarantine for him with some plants and what not? Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated!

:help:

Thanks, James

·
Registered
888 Posts
and I hear platies are actually aggressive.
Because the platy he got is possibly a Xiphophorus variatus which is a cross between platies and swordtails. Only swordtails can show belligerence and not the platies. Platies that are aggressive often have the genes of the swordtails in their family tree.
Well I got a couple of problems with my male Red Wag Platy. First, I had noticed that he has bloat(or looks like it). His stomach is huge and not normal size! I am looking bloat up to see what are some cures! The other issue I have is that he tends to chase my Male Sunburst Wag Platy around all the time. Since I got home this morning I decided to rearrange the plants to try and give them a new look to see if that helps. Well it didnt so Im stuck.
James, does your platy have bulging eyes and protrusion of scales? If so, I'm afraid the chances of it healing is quite slim. If this is constipation, certainly use green peas in this case.
What Should I do about this troublesome platy and how he is acting towards the other Platy? Should I set up a small Quarantine for him with some plants and what not? Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated!
Isolate it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mistergreen said:
Are you sure it's a male? could it be a female?

and I hear platies are actually aggressive.
Both are male, I had checked both of them. I never heard of platties being aggressive!

bluebell said:
Because the platy he got is possibly a Xiphophorus variatus which is a cross between platies and swordtails. Only swordtails can show belligerence and not the platies. Platies that are aggressive often have the genes of the swordtails in their family tree.
Do most of the cross breeds have a "little sword" on the bottom of the tail? The reason I ask is because my Red Wag has a small little sword type tail.

bluebell said:
James, does your platy have bulging eyes and protrusion of scales? If so, I'm afraid the chances of it healing is quite slim. If this is constipation, certainly use green peas in this case.

I think it might be constapation because he doesnt have bulging eyes or protruding scales. The green pea method is using peeled peas and smushing it into the water right? Just getting y facts straight on that!

I am going to isolate it but need to find something to isolate him in!

·
Registered
612 Posts
You could always quarantine the naughty fish or trade him in for a more laid back fish. I use breeder boxes/nets to quarantine naughty fishies and If they're all being used by pregnant females I use a goldfish bowl. I always throw in either floating plants or java moss tiles and do plenty of waterchanges.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Both are male, I had checked both of them. I never heard of platties being aggressive!
Because as mentioned previously, your fish is simply a cross of platies and swordtails.;)
Do most of the cross breeds have a "little sword" on the bottom of the tail? The reason I ask is because my Red Wag has a small little sword type tail.
Some do, some don't.:smile:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts