The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever done that before, is live food good for a diet? buying feeder fish can get exspensive and could have disease, and I already had some platy, so i got a couple more females fo my 10g.

The fry would be going to my leopard ctenopoma, beunos Aires tetras Brown knife fish, and gouramis in my 46g.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know I give my young platies to my snapping turtle and he enjoys chasing them.

Unfortunately, at least in my experience, I don't think that your platies could keep up with the demands of that many fish... unless you went into a much bigger platy breeding tank. It can take a little while to get them big enough to be any kind of substantial meal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I give my young platies to my snapping turtle and he enjoys chasing them.

Unfortunately, at least in my experience, I don't think that your platies could keep up with the demands of that many fish... unless you went into a much bigger platy breeding tank. It can take a little while to get them big enough to be any kind of substantial meal.
What if I were to upgrade it to a 20 gallon? and the diet of the fish in my 46g consists of flakes,frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It'd be fine as a snack, but it wouldn't be the main meal of those guys.
In any event, though guys are easy enough to have feeding on pellets and stuff.
You have an african brown knife? Those are nice fish, I'm debating between getting one of those or a black ghost knife myself. What kind of gourami's do you have btw?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'd be fine as a snack, but it wouldn't be the main meal of those guys.
In any event, though guys are easy enough to have feeding on pellets and stuff.
You have an african brown knife? Those are nice fish, I'm debating between getting one of those or a black ghost knife myself. What kind of gourami's do you have btw?
The African brown knife is cool. He just started coming out of his hiding spot when the light is on, i can hand feed him bloodworms if I turn on the blue light.

I got the African brown knife over the black because the black gets a lot bigger.

I Have an opaline gourami and the other one I don't remember the name and its not on petsmarts website.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You could just breed thin-shelled snails in that tank (with extras in another tank in case all the feeders got eaten... lol) Then they could snack whenever they got hungry.

Or it might be a good deal to trade in your platy fry to a lfs, in exchange for feeders. I know a lot of people who do exchanges. Platy are worth more than feeders, so it might pay off.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I did that for a couple years with my African Cichlid tank. I had tons of Platys in a 20g. I started with maybe 10 adults and made sure to save some fry here and there. I also didn't put more than a couple in at a time. It can't be the main diet, but my cichlids loved it! As you mentioned there is also the benefit of knowing they are healthy and disease free

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.