The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick question,
What is the id of the tubing that comes off of a bubble counter? I have been trying to find this out for an hour and all I can find is, "fist standard size tubing". For crying out loud, what if you don't know what the standard size is? Like I wasn't born knowing what the standard size tubing is, lol.

Thanks, I am trying to get out to home depot and this is holding me up. Sorry to rant :)

Looking for fitting to connect the tubing to a DYI Co2 reactor I am planning on building, providing I can find all the parts I need. I just don't know what size fitting to get. I'm guessing 1/4" (6mm).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Regular airline tubing is usually 1/8" or 3/16" I.D. and I've never seen it sold at a home improvement store. Try an aquarium or pond store or order it online.

Airline tubing for a CO2 system is similar size but the material is different. Check out some posts for CO2 tubing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks deeda,
Home Depot does indeed carry a variety of plastic tubing, although tubing is not what I am looking for. I am building a Co2 reactor and need to purchase a male barb fitting for the reactor. That fitting will allow me to connect the Co2 feed from the bubble counter. I don't want to buy the wrong size fitting, build the thing, only to find out later that I have the installed the wrong size barb fitting and be unable to connect the Co2 feed to it.

I guess I'm more familiar with other industries, but I find it unusual to see a part sold that doesn't mention the size of the counter-part that it mates to.

That leaves the buyer with having to take the part down to the store to match it up. In my case that's rather annoying as I can't finish building my reactor until I know for sure what size fitting I need.

~Shrimp

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You may have to do a search for building a CO2 reactor to get an idea of the proper parts to use. I don't 'do' CO2 but I have seen a few threads on how to build them.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Thanks deeda,
Home Depot does indeed carry a variety of plastic tubing, although tubing is not what I am looking for. I am building a Co2 reactor and need to purchase a male barb fitting for the reactor. That fitting will allow me to connect the Co2 feed from the bubble counter. I don't want to buy the wrong size fitting, build the thing, only to find out later that I have the installed the wrong size barb fitting and be unable to connect the Co2 feed to it.

I guess I'm more familiar with other industries, but I find it unusual to see a part sold that doesn't mention the size of the counter-part that it mates to.

That leaves the buyer with having to take the part down to the store to match it up. In my case that's rather annoying as I can't finish building my reactor until I know for sure what size fitting I need.

~Shrimp
Usually the tubing used from a bubble counter is the same size as aquarium airline tubing.

When I have to do a project like this I usually go to the LFS and get a length of rigid airline tubing. It's sold usually for replacing the that tube in an undergravel filter. Then to make the fitting to your reactor, cut a short length of rigid tubing, drill a matching hole in the reactor and glue it in.

It's cheep, easy to do, and it if breaks, easily reparable,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts