The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the plastic frame around the top & the bottom of a tank provide any support or is it for mainly looks? I know there are frameless tanks that is glass only so I am guessing the plastic is for looks or for the light or glass cover to set into.

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
think, it's for extra support. many takes da top rim off for show purpose, but leaves da bottom on (recommended). but some tanks are made to be frame less, and they're made diff then da cheap small one's or high volume tanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a heck of a deal (practically stole it) on a 110 tall tank. The plastic at the top is cracked & the bottom has a broke spot too. Glass is 1/2" 7 silicone is HEAVY. Never seen that much on one before.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Only ones that absolutely need the rim are the longer tanks that have the brace running through the center. I've ran a 29 gallon odell that the top cracked pretty bad so i had to remove it. So anyway it's ran for 3 years without the top plastic and it's been totally fine. If you look at most of the tanks with the top plastic on they still bow, it doesn't provide much support but it prevents you from getting cut to shreds on the sharp edge and keeps glass from chipping.

If you remove the top plastic on a tank with a center brace you are definitely asking for trouble. I never recommend taking off the bottom one!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a 11o really cheap the other day & the plastic on it was cracked on both the top and the bottom. But I got it REALLY cheap so I got it & filled it outside to see if it would leak. It did leak, and I decided I didn't want to mess with resealing it, so I took it back.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
While shopping on Craigslist this weekend I chatted with the seller of a bowfront tank, with the cross brace cracked free of the rim on top. I asked if he had it in use that way for very long. He said he used it for 3 years with the separated crack with no problems. The crack looks like about 1/8 inch wide, so I read that to mean the front and back glass bow out a total of about 1/8 inch with the tank full. That probably just reduces the safety factor for the tank glass, so it would take less of a jolt before the glass fails totally.

·
Algae Eater
3,182 Posts
Any chance he told you that just so you would buy the tank? Too ,uch risk for me

While shopping on Craigslist this weekend I chatted with the seller of a bowfront tank, with the cross brace cracked free of the rim on top. I asked if he had it in use that way for very long. He said he used it for 3 years with the separated crack with no problems. The crack looks like about 1/8 inch wide, so I read that to mean the front and back glass bow out a total of about 1/8 inch with the tank full. That probably just reduces the safety factor for the tank glass, so it would take less of a jolt before the glass fails totally.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Any chance he told you that just so you would buy the tank? Too ,uch risk for me
No, he had already sold it by then. I asked him, in an email, about the cross brace, which he mentioned in the listing being broken. I was considering the tank for a riparium, where it would only be about half full of water, so I wondered if his use of the tank would amount to a proof test of the strength. His recommendation was to assume he was just lucky and never to fill the tank full.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The plastic rim on the top of my 55 gallon tank is cracked in a couple of places, but still stays on, and the center brace is intact, but I can take the rim off completely if I just pull it off, it is just sitting on there...I bought it used that way a couple of years ago, and did not know that the plastic was for anything other than 'looks' and the center brace for holding the light fixture...I was planning on just removing it until I read on here that I shouldn't. But it has been filled and working this way for the two-ish years I have had it, plus however long it was broken before I bought it. It seems to be doing ok, even having been moved around a lot since I haven't stayed in one house very long for a while.

I have de-rimmed smaller tanks, 5-20 gallons, successfully, not because I wanted rimless but because the rim was badly broken-- but none of those had any sort of center brace anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.