The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Im finally going to get my tank set up again and I am really wanting to get some live plants and I was wondering if you guys could give me a few plant species that would be a good starter species for me to place in my tank

Thanx a lot

·
Registered
567 Posts
There's quite a few good starter plants that are hard for a beginner to kill. What you can keep really depends on what sort of setup you want...How big is your tank? What lighting do you have for it? Do you want to do CO2? If so, pressurized or do-it-yourself? If you have high amounts of light and CO2, you'll also want to look into fertilizers. But you can do a simple tank with lower light, no CO2, and not fertilizer also. Just depends on your budget, preferences, and how much time you want to spend with it.

Some good plants to start with:
Hygrophila Polysperma 'Green Hygro' (I've got tons of this I can sell you if you're interested lol...it grows about an inch a week in my tank!)
Ludwigia repens 'Red Ludwigia'--easy to find at most LFS that carry plants. Under lower light it won't have as much red, but still a nice one.
Sunset Hygro--Just like the green, only pink
Anacharis
Cryptocoryne and anubias species--all do well in low light
Aponogeton bulbs--Walmart and Petsmart/co carry these in little packages. Some grow, some don't, but the ones that do grow are extremely hardy and fast growing. They're pretty hit or miss unfortunately.

I'm sure others know of more easy plants. Those are just the ones that worked for me as a beginner. Good luck with your new planted tank, and be sure to share pictures when you get it going!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure will, Thanx a ton for the information. That helped a ton.

Btw my tank is a 10 gallon with semi-low light and I do not think im gonna do any Co2 or ferts.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You can always get some Java fern and Anubias they do good in a low tech tanks, also mosses should be good. Ludwigia repens and others that Ariel mentioned :)

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Vallisneria, Java moss, and some diffrent types of Cryptocrynes like Wendtii, are all good low tech plants, or so I have heard. (; Also, java fern and anubias need to be attached to driftwood or rocks, though you probably knew that already! Do your research and Good luck!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Get some Najas sp 'Roraima' when you begin your tank. It will really help with the new tank cycling. It's a great plant. It will grow in low light and is easy. It's the best new tank cycling plant I know of.

·
Registered
143 Posts
With my stock lighting on my 10 gallon, I have lots of Rotala rotundifolia (absolutely love it!), Java moss and a couple of Swords--I think Echinodorus osiris (which have stayed rather small, but beautiful--I think this is unique though.).

·
Registered
646 Posts
i have a low tech set up, and the java moss, vallisneria, and rotala are all doing really well. btw: i LOVE your username, led zeppelin is my favorite band :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts