The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of plants do well in a low tech, no heat, 10g? i dont have plants in it yet, just water, driftwood and soil/sand. i want to get plants in but idk what would work. its my first tank with no heater. at some point i am going to put cherry shrimp and maybe micro crabs in it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
My guppy tanks run in the low 70's most of the winter and can dip into the hi 60's on brutally cold nights. Cabomba, Anubias, Java Moss, and Guppy Grass (Naja) all do just fine. Also, I would call the lighting medium.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have a heaterless white cloud mountain minnow tank (water temp is 65f). I have an explosive amount of leopard vals, (really need to thin them out), crypts, and anubias petite. I also have several no aquatic plants riparium style with roots in water that I can list off. Oh and some floaters like salvinia minimia, and scraps of water sprite.
Mosses and marimo are also great cool water option-remember marimo is a specialized form of slow growing hair algae-don't sue any algaecides on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Crypts also work well in low tech tanks. They're a little more work than anubias because they will melt if water parameters change much, but they can adapt to a wide range of water and don't really need a lot of light or CO2. Even if they do melt, they will grow back after the water has stabilized again.

-Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.