The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My 5 gallon tank is still on going with the problem with the leaves turning yellow.

I suspect it may be due to low KH and GH, not giving the plants enough minerals or absorption. KH is 2, GH is 2, ph barely 6.0.

I dose once a week, flourish iron, regular flourish, and leaf zone. It's whatever the doses say on the bottle. As it's a 5 gal, I don't put in a whole lot. I also plant root tabs underneath the root feeders, such as the amazon swords, and the foreground plant thing. Those I only put in once when I first planted the tank, it's maybe been a few weeks since I last put in any root tabs.

My Java fern is doing great, one of my amazon swords is doing great, but I lost the wisteria, am losing my petite anubias, the other amazon sword isn't doing as great as the other and the other plant I have, some smaller thing, it grows like an amazon sword with it being rooted, but it's not an amazon sword, definitely a foreground plant. It too is starting to yellow.

Is it due to the low PH, KH, and GH? Or is it due to them missing a mineral for feeding?

Living in the tank are 13 Mosquito/Phoenix Rasborras.

Tank's cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, barely at 5, let's call it 2.5 for nitrAtes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It sounds to me like you are basically starving the plants. The dosing on the bottle isn't necessarily what you need in your tank, it's a basic guide. The biggest clue is you stating the wisteria died first. Since it's one of the faster growing plants, it will tend you be an indicator of issues in the tank. Many including myself use it in this fashion. Up the dosage of the fertilizer you are using and/or consider changing to a different fertilization type and schedule.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's no co2 being injected. I have an eclipse 5 gal hex tank, the light is a 10w compact fluorescent sun bulb from coralife I think.

I did used to have a 15w daylight bulb from home depot on it, but I figured it's been on it for over a year and it possibly has lost a good chunk of the good plant spectrum so decided to change to this.

How often do you think I should be dosing? If I should be using something else, what should I be dosing?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
there's no co2 being injected. I have an eclipse 5 gal hex tank, the light is a 10w compact fluorescent sun bulb from coralife I think.

I did used to have a 15w daylight bulb from home depot on it, but I figured it's been on it for over a year and it possibly has lost a good chunk of the good plant spectrum so decided to change to this.

How often do you think I should be dosing? If I should be using something else, what should I be dosing?
The distance the light is away from your aquarium will also determine how much light your aquarium has.

However, as mentioned, it does sound like you are starving your plants for nutrients.

I would try increasing the dosing to (say) 2-3 times a week and see how it goes from there.

You could also look into use dry chemicals and EI dosing. If you have lower light, EI dosing can always be adjusted to suit your requirements.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Flourish is basically a trace nutrient fertilizer and Leafzone is basically just Potassium and iron. So you're missing nitrogen and phosphorus.

Unless you have high nitrates and phosphates, I'd start with those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah yes! I do not have high nitrates, mine are barely even measurable. The tube isn't yellow like 0, but it's not as orangey as the 5 color.

So which fert would have both of those in it?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
ah yes! I do not have high nitrates, mine are barely even measurable. The tube isn't yellow like 0, but it's not as orangey as the 5 color.

So which fert would have both of those in it?
I do not think there is any product that will have both phosphates and nitrates in it.

However, you can always purchase commercially available products such as Seachem Nitrogen and Seachem Phosphorus. However, I find these to be quite expensive, and prefer to use dry chemicals as they are more economical.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that information. You mentioned dry fertilizers? Where do you obtain these? I know my LFS only carries liquid type ferts or tabs like root tabs.

I'll look into those two seachem products, but I would like some more information on where to find some dry ferts that would have all I need in one or however it comes.

Also, I was reading plants prefer a GH of more around 5 for better mineral absorption, with my GH being at 2, is that going to be a problem?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Dry chemicals can be bought a hydroponics stores. Some users on these forums also sell them.

I would recommend buy the dry chemicals separately, and then mixing them to whatever ratio you desire; customizability is one of the advantages of dry fertilizers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I found those supplements you mentioned from seachem. I added them into the tank today. Is there any hope in saving the yellowed leaves? Some still have bits of green near the center, others are completely yellow.

Should I trim these off to conserve the plant's energy?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
So I found those supplements you mentioned from seachem. I added them into the tank today. Is there any hope in saving the yellowed leaves? Some still have bits of green near the center, others are completely yellow.

Should I trim these off to conserve the plant's energy?
The entirely yellow ones will probably be best pruned off. The ones that are still a little green will probably bounce back, but might take some time (2-3 weeks).

Pruning some of the more yellow leaves will also encourage new growth.

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
Sorry noob question what is EI stand for.
Estimative Index...

I don't want to sound rude, but next time, try using the search bar or even try looking it up using a search engine.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Estimative Index...

I don't want to sound rude, but next time, try using the search bar or even try looking it up using a search engine.
LOL Was a little rude!

A great place to get dry ferts is Green Leaf Aquariums. Below is a link. I would reccomend getting their MICRO and MACRO ferts. I would also recommend not dosing them on the same day. If you read the EI dosing link above it will help you get on the right track for dosing FERTS. If you need any other help just ask! Good luck!

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.