The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some wendeth, corkscrew vals, and banana plants that are turning clear and withering away. Dwarf hairgrass is doing ok. I jave 40w on a 10g with DIY co2, eco-complete substrate.
Any tips?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
40Watts is ALLOT with DIY CO2 on a 10g if you ask me but, I'm no expert and I am still new my self. 4wpg is Allot. What kind of lights? Any ferts? How long has the tank been running?

·
Super Moderator
12,118 Posts
As Dempsey already mentioned, you do have quite a bit of light over your tank. Are you sure your CO2 levels are consistent and adequate (i.e. check with a drop checker).

Also, you should be fertilizing, given the amount of light you have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn,coming from reefkeeping I was not expecting to hear 4 wpg is a lot. Theyre 20w spiral cfl's 6500k. What ferts do you recomend? maybe I could cut back the lighting cycle from 8 hours to 4-6? Would fluorish excel be worth using?
The tank is 2 months old almost. I dont have a drop checker on my DIY setup, didnt think it would make a difference, not like I am using pressurized.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
40 watts is not too much. diy co2 should work fine. I had 40 watts over a 10 gallon with diy and some excel and had no algae problems. It might be that your plants are melting because your water params are different than where they were originally. Excel might melt your vals even more, but I have no experience with that. Not sure exactly what your problem is. What are your water params?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I am not as knowledgeable as most on this site. At all! I have gotten the impression that 4wpg is allot. I haven't been a member on here that long but I haven't any many tanks with more then 4wpg. Like I said though, I am new and haven't been here long. I guess with enough CO2/excel, you can make it work?

So what is high light then?

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I do get that in a 10 gallon tank, DIY CO2 can suffice given that it is dissolved in a sufficient way. How are you injecting CO2?

CL, If 4wpg is not too much, do you still want 30ppm of CO2?

I would just like to know for my own knowledge.

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
30 ppm of CO2 is always desirable. I have no idea what I had. With smaller tanks, the WPG rule does not apply. Really it doesn't work for large tanks either, and it varies with what kind of lights you have, so why do we use WPG? It isn't very accurate. PAR is more accurate, but the average hobbyist cannot measure that. I diffused my CO2 back in the day with a bamboo skewer. I still do in a pinch ;)

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I will eat my words there...... I guess you still want 30ppm of CO2. It might just be a few bottles of DIY with 4wpg, right?

Inquiring minds must know.

My brain in a sponge and it is just moist! :)

Thanks again,

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I understand the intensity part. With the wpg mention being said, I guess that makes sence. All on how it works for you and if you make make a good balance? I have a 29g with 42watts of T5 and 3 DIY CO2 bottles. 6 hours of light. It's been 2-3 months and it's growing great!

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
I did try chop sticks to diffuse but I couldn't get that to work. They might have been old.... On my 29g, I have to be honest, I only check the CO2..... never..... In my new 75g, everyday! I'm just paranoid with the light I haveon the 75.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
whatever your lights are, you know you have too much for your system when you see string algae and spotted algae. Your plant is dying because of the lack of nutrients and CO2. Give your tank those and your plant should bounce back.

Or you can lower the lights to lower the plant's demand on nutrients and CO2, whatever it can get from the eco. Expect slow growth with this method.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.