The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’m new on here. Recently decided to have a go at a planted tank, the plants have been in 9 weeks now and it hasn’t gone well to say the least. The plants were all purchased from pro-shrimp and arrived in good condition, the tank was looking amazing when I first put the plants but it has just been getting worse and worse since the first couple of weeks. I have a single Beta in the tank who is doing well, along with several shrimp and a couple of snails. All of the plants are low tech plants such as Anubis and Java ferns. They are rapidly loosing leaves and turning a horrible brown colour.

The tank is a fluval flex 57 with the original lighting that is on an 8 hour timer each day. I use API Co2 which I dose daily to the Recommended amount.I also use API leaf zone which I dose weekly after water changes to the recommended amount. I do weekly water changes of around 40/50%. PH is around 7 and my tank temperature is 76 degrees Fahrenheit. My nitrates and nitrites are really low from looking at my test strips. I don’t know if the plants are salvageable! I seem to have an Algae problem which is in the glass and appears to be on some of the plants.

I have attached some photosof the tank in the current state.

what can I do differently to save this tank

Attachments

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Hello and welcome!

When you reach into your tank and rub a leaf between your fingers does the brown dusty stuff on them rub away? This looks like a case of diatom algae which is VERY normal for a new aquarium. Typically it settles down after a few weeks. Additionally it looks like you have an aquasoil type substrate. This type of substrate requires extra water changes in the first few weeks due to excessive nutrient leech when its new. I'd change more water (at this point do 2 or 3 big water changes for the next 2 or 3 days, and clean the plants manually). You should see things calm down. You may also wish to add a couple of faster growing stem plants to help fight off algae, at least until your tank gets settled in. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome!

When you reach into your tank and rub a leaf between your fingers does the brown dusty stuff on them rub away? This looks like a case of diatom algae which is VERY normal for a new aquarium. Typically it settles down after a few weeks. Additionally it looks like you have an aquasoil type substrate. This type of substrate requires extra water changes in the first few weeks due to excessive nutrient leech when its new. I'd change more water (at this point do 2 or 3 big water changes for the next 2 or 3 days, and clean the plants manually). You should see things calm down. You may also wish to add a couple of faster growing stem plants to help fight off algae, at least until your tank gets settled in. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, I will try that! What stem plants will do well in low/medium light? Some of the Algae rubs off on the anubius but on the ferns the leaves are just brown in colour, there isn’t much algae.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I will try that! What stem plants will do well in low/medium light? Some of the Algae rubs off on the anubius but on the ferns the leaves are just brown in colour, there isn’t much algae.
All plants need time to adjust. Keep an eye on new growth and see how it looks. Old growth will frankly not look great.

Ludwigia is a good goto stem plant which tends to do well, comes in many varieties, and looks quite nice. Its my goto for this kind of thing. Limnophila is another one which is usually easy to grow. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts