The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got these big crypts and wanted them in this new 29g setup, but I think they may be too big and I'll have to put them in a deeper tank.

I'll be putting in a small group of harlequin rasboras in this weekend and eventually adding a pair of cockatoo dwarf cichlids.

·
Registered
400 Posts
C balansae or..the other even larger Crypt that has the same look in leaves. If you wanted,you could simply prune off leaves too large and the plant gets the message by making smaller leaves. Its called reduction in the plant and Bonsai world.
Just like some people get rid of huge Bolbitis..not knowing they could have pruned the overly large leaves ( all) and that would tell the fern to make smaller leaves. Tip pruning does the same thing.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C balansae or..the other even larger Crypt that has the same look in leaves. If you wanted,you could simply prune off leaves too large and the plant gets the message by making smaller leaves. Its called reduction in the plant and Bonsai world.
Just like some people get rid of huge Bolbitis..not knowing they could have pruned the overly large leaves ( all) and that would tell the fern to make smaller leaves. Tip pruning does the same thing.
Trimming is my plan. I want them big, just not quite that big and the rest of them (I had a whole other bag of these) will go in a bigger tank I have yet to setup.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
614 Posts
These look more like a sword of some type, especially the one on the right in the photo. The others look a little different than Crypts too, but could be I suppose. If they are Crypts I would guess they won't get much bigger. Just more full until the decide to spread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.