The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this driftwood that I believe will fit perfectly, if not too snugly, in my Fluval Spec V, and I'm curious about how to set up the plants. I currently have the Spec with the filter on the left side, meaning the glass side is on the right. The branch, pictured below, starts low on the left side and goes up at around 45 degrees to the top right direction.

I have lots of dwarf sag that remains smaller than 1-2 inches above the substrate and, given some more root tabs, will probably give a decent "carpet" in a few months. I also have a decent bulb of Tiger Lotus that I'd like to keep alive, and this tank is the only one that'd be able to, I think. I have some Rotala indica, and I have my eye set on Diandra, which I think looks really cool.

My question is this: How do I set up the plants so that I can get the most out of the tank? Do I plant the taller stems on the right side underneath the tall part of the branch, or do I plant them around the base on the left (more towards what I'm leaning at)? Any suggestions? Should I add rocks of any kind? I have black Fluval substrate, and not a lot of it.

Any help is appreciated. I can be crafty when I want to be, but I usually don't have a mind for thinking about layouts and such.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I would say plant the taller plants on the base side, and have shorter plants around the other side. Sort of like a triangular scape. It also depends what the size of the wood is compared to your tank, could we get a picture please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say plant the taller plants on the base side, and have shorter plants around the other side. Sort of like a triangular scape. It also depends what the size of the wood is compared to your tank, could we get a picture please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't put the wood in the tank right now, as it's full of algae and plants and I haven't had time to actually empty and clean it yet. It's a Fluval Spec V, and from the looks of it, the wood will pretty much be touching the glass at all spots.

I'm hoping to have time one of these days to start disassembling the tank, I'm just worried I will kill what's left of my plants if I remove them and leave them for a few days with dirty water and little light.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the long pause. I finally emptied the tank and added the wood. Couple questions:

Any ideas for plant placement? Dwarf sag all over, some ludwigia in the back right by the heater, and some rotala in the back left. They are nubs because the bottoms of the stems rotted away during my cleaning.

Fish ideas? Debating Gold Tetras.

Best way to hide a small piece of zip tie? I'm holding the wood down, and there's about an inch of visible zip tie near the base. How can I cover that without using substrate?

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the tank so far. Today I added another two stems of the Ludwigia to the right corner (came from my other tank), and they have almost full leaves compared to these stems pictured. I also noticed that the Tiger Lotus that I buried has reached the surface and has several 2" long (and fingernail-width!) leaves. That plant perplexes me - you can read stories about never planting the bulb underneath soil, but I've had great success with it. I also have had it send out a new leaf every other day (literally) and have an old leaf die after about a week of living, but I've also had it send out 5-6 leaves then leave them there for several months. I'm not quite sure of the best way to grow it, and I haven't been able to produce stems that reach the surface of this very shallow tank, so if you have any pointers, I'd appreciate it!

Any other thoughts for this tank? Planning on waiting 2-3 weeks to allow the plants to fill in before adding fish, unless you think it's better to add them once the parameters stabilize. I'm contemplating Gold Tetras (H. rodwayi), Chili Rasboras (B. brigittae), and a few other small schooling fishes...haven't quite decided. Also, will probably buy a black background to test it out.

Attachments

·
Banned
483 Posts
What kind of filter are you using? Do you know the water parameters? What temperature? Lighting cycle? You should probably do 50% water changes weekly if there are no fish or inhabitants to harm with radical changes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of filter are you using? Do you know the water parameters? What temperature? Lighting cycle? You should probably do 50% water changes weekly if there are no fish or inhabitants to harm with radical changes.
It's a Fluval Spec V, so the filter is the crappy one attached to it. The light is a Planted+. I'm buying a new test kit tomorrow hopefully, but yea I've been doing changes every few days and rearranging the plants as needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts