The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have my angel fish tank setup for a little over a month everything's fine I plant about 30 jungle vals next day my over 3 years old angel fish 7 of them are dead they have been fine in this tank before the plants the tank still contains 5 bristle nose sucker fish and some weird catfish and they are absolutely fine

what could possibly be causing my problem all water parameters are excellent double triple quadruple checked by myself and the local fish store the only thing I can think of is some sort of parasite I have done 50 and 25 percent water changes and after the water changes I still lost 7 fish 5 the first day 25 percent water change 2 after the 50 percent water change

how can I rid myself of this problem and get the 2 that I have left back in there home?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I don't understand what you mean um up until I planted the vals the tank was up in running normally with no plants for over a month... everybody was happy..
what substrate do you have and what did u prep before you plant the val?

like did you cut the roots or just plant them

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not think the plants ate doing that, however are you fertilizing? Adding anything to the tank other than the plants, also where did the plants come from?
absolutely nothing different just added the plants the plants came from Arizona aquatics online I have purchased plants from them in the past and have been extremely happy.. I really don't want to think that the plants killed 3 years of my angel fish watching them grow either but it is the only differential

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just have regular fluorite substrate
some of the valves I did cut the roots some of the valves I did not cut the roots depending on how strong the root system looked
the substrate was stirred up a very little bit while planting no more than necessary
no purple tinttint that I noticed

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think even if you don't stir the substrate up all over the tank but just by digging into them it could release something not too kosher. Since you were planting 30 Vals at once there're a lot of potential for something nasty to flow out. I think I killed one of my catfish that way. I once took out a big root plant and the catfish came over and sat and nibbling in that spot for a long while and it was dead the next day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Parasites would take months to infect and kill. I'd say, as others have already, this is either something the plants were sprayed or dipped in, or else something you stirred up from the substrate(highly unlikely). Was the tank heavily stocked in your opinion?
8 angel fish in a 200 G i wouldnt say thats heavily stocked..

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I posted this on the other thread you have but I'm pretty sure it wasn't the plants that caused your fish to die but more than likely you caused an ammonia spike when you dug into the substrate to plant them. I would check your parameters again and make sure you don't have nitrites or ammonia.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nope waters good...as of this morning all are gone...they were removed from the tank in question but i guess death follows so all i can do now is clean water recycle rinse filters and start over...and hope for no repeat

·
Registered
163 Posts
sounds wired
I have a dirted tank and I'm always screwing around with it and pulling stuff out.
sorry to hear that I have about 12 adult angels between my 2 tanks and would be devastated if I lost 1.
I ordered 10 Italian Vals a couple of months ago and put them in my 55 and had no issues I didnt wash dip them or trim roots, I'm not very careful apparently I dont even really do water tests very frequently.
Hard to imagine someone who takes such care and has a tank 4 times larger would have theses issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hmoobthor might have been asking what you did prior to the planting to see if you might have gotten something from your hands into the tank inadvertently and introduced something toxic. Just a guess/possibility.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts