The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After watching the above video, was wondering which hardwater plants, that evolved to utilize HCO3-, are being referred to. Does anyone have a list or examples? If so, would potassium bicarbonate be a source of carbon for these plants?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I geeked out a bit and found some scientific research papers. First abstract mentioned various Anacharis from my understanding. Second seems to back up what the Aquapros video mentioned in above post. Granted, I'm not an aquatic botanist so correct me if wrong. Wish i paid attention in biochem and stats more. Anyone know a list of aquarium hobby plants that use bicarbonate as a carbon source?

This next one also mentions that Potamogeton crispus uses bicarbonate if you read below figure 3.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi @Lazaro777

If you can get your hands on a copy of Diana Walstad's book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, Table VI-4 will provide the information you need. A few examples of aquatic plants that use bicarbonate (HCO3-) are Ceratophyllum demersum, Egeria densa, Elodea canadensis and Vallisneria spiralis.

Anon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Anon, will see if I can come across that book unless anyone is willing to volunteer some more names listed in that section. Hopefully that would be using her material fairly.

Was hoping to know if there were any foreground plants that can "switch" to bicarbonate for CO2. From reading those couple science papers, my non bio major self thinks foreground plants would tent to use CO2 proper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts