The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Yes. There are. Certain plants are very sensitive to initial changes such as eriocaulon and sygonanthus are rather sensitive plants. Otherwise you're pretty safe planting whatever whenever.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Some plants will melt if exposed to high levels of ammonia. Not sure on what plants will melt since I haven't cycled a tank in a while but I know floaters and fast growing stems will help reduce the ammonia in the water during a cycle.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
If you are doing the fishless cycle that calls for adding ammonia to 3 ppm, there are plants that are not good for this, also.
I am not sure if there is a list, but the level than seems to be the dividing line between sensitive and tolerant is at about 1 ppm ammonia.

If you start cycling and see that some plants are affected by the ammonia you could try this:
Add ammonia only to 1 ppm, but do this twice a day. Never higher than 1 ppm. This will still feed plenty of bacteria.

Here are a few plant responses to NH4+
Several species of Elodea were OK up to 9.6 ppm, others were slowed by 3.2 ppm. (fishless cycle starts with 5 ppm, then is reduced to 3 ppm)
Statiotes aloides cannot handle even 1 ppm.
Salvinia molesta can handle up to 26ppm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.