The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had no idea that UG could root on volcanic rock, that's friggin awesome!
UG can root onto other objects besides lava rock. A guy on a carnivorous plant forum I'm on, has experimented with it and this is what he had to say:

I have grown this stuff in everything from rockwool, mud, gravel, clay pellets, moist driftwood, ADA aquasoil, sphagnum moss, other mosses, rocks, on top of other plants, on plastic (99% humidity tank, its growing on some worm feeders), on top of airline tubes, glass (its growing on the side of the glass in a 99% humidity tank, on the side nothing holding it there) and probably a few more things I've forgotten about. It has grown in every medium just fine under alot of different lighting levels. I have some growing under a single 14W compact flourscent, all the way up to some growing under 4 T5HO bulbs and lots of levels between.

I have my UG growing on an Exo-Terra Waterfall, some of it is completely under water, some of it is in the waterfall's current.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Bolbitis heteroclita.. Asian water fern.. much easier to root emersed but will root submersed in time.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
An update! :D

Anubias sp.
Aridarum (what species are fully aquatic?)
Bolbitis heteroclite (aka Asian water fern - roots easily emerged, takes time submersed)
Bolbitis heudelotii (aka African water fern)
Bucephalandra sp. (aka Buce)
Caloglossa cf. beccarii (aka "Red Moss" - actually a type of algae.)
Hemianthus callitrichoides (aka Dwarf baby tears or HC)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Marsilea minuta (aka Dwarf water clover - possibly roots onto wood)
Microsorum pteropus (aka Java Fern - and it's varieties)
Moss (aka Java Moss, Fissidens, and many others)
Pogostemon helferi (aka Downoi)
Riccia (it is suggested that this will root on objects in water, any others have experience?)
Schismatoglottis roseospatha (and possibly other Schismatoglottis sp.)
Subwassertang (aka Süßwassertang - for some growers, it loosely bonds to objects)
Utricularia graminifolia (aka UG - a carnivorous plant in the bladderwort family)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How could I forget! There's another one, that I've known about (and I grow), but I didn't think of till now! Let me introduce: Red Mangrove!

Rhizophora mangle (Red Mangrove). It will root onto rocks. This may be considered more of a "Riparium" plant, but either way, it is a wonderful addition to an aquarium, riparium, or paludarium!

The updated list:

Anubias sp.
Bolbitis heteroclite (aka Asian water fern - roots easily emerged, takes time submersed)
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Rhizophora mangle (Red Mangrove - will root onto rock, leaves must be above water)
Riccia (it is suggested that this will root on objects in water, any others have experience?)
Subwassertang (aka Süßwassertang - for some growers, it loosely bonds to objects)
Utricularia graminifolia (aka UG - a carnivorous plant in the bladderwort family)

The Black Mangrove (Avicennia Germinans) has become available recently, does anyone know if it will root onto rocks?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Time for updates!

I've learned that some Cryptocoryne (aka Crypt) species will root onto rock.

A few months ago, someone told me that they had Cryptocoryne hudouri root onto dragon stone.

I also found the company Tropica selling Cryptocoryne petchii rooted onto lava rock. Check it out here:
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/blog/2014/03/cryptocoryne-petchii-grown-on-lava-rock.html

And the company AquaEssentials is selling Cryptocoryne on rock.
Cryptocoryne (Species?):
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/cr...8.html?zenid=d8415c70e8e336ae44d14a4335c36b1d

Here is more proof that Crypts can root onto rock (you might need to translate it, but photos speak a thousand words):
http://www.uruguayenelacuarista.com/Articulo.asp?Id=95&Query=18%20&Indice=1

AquaEssentials is selling several other plants that are rooted to objects, that are not normally rooted onto objects. Check it out:

Alternathera reineckii on lava rock:
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/al...6.html?zenid=d8415c70e8e336ae44d14a4335c36b1d

Alternathera reineckii on wood:
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/al...7.html?zenid=d8415c70e8e336ae44d14a4335c36b1d

Hydrocotyle tripartita on lava rock:
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/hy...4.html?zenid=d8415c70e8e336ae44d14a4335c36b1d

Lagenandra meeboldii on wood:
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/la...9.html?zenid=d8415c70e8e336ae44d14a4335c36b1d

Staurogyne (Species?) on lava rock:
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/staurogyne-on-lava-rock-p-7306.html

Here is the new, updated list:
Alternathera reineckii
Anubias sp.
Cryptocoryne hudouri
Cryptocoryne petchii
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hydrocotyle tripartite
Lagenandra meeboldii
Rhizophora mangle (Red Mangrove - will root onto rock, leaves must be above water)
Staurogyne (Species?)

Have fun! Experiment! And if you have any plants to add . . . post up!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Monoselenium tenerum - I'm not sure if you have classified this among the mosses but it's not a moss, it's a liverwort. Grows easily on lava rock.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Daisy Mae!

Tropica has this to say about Monosolenium tenerum: "Rhizoids can anchor the plant to stones or tree roots, but this attachment is not particularly effective under water."

Only plants that root onto submerged objects are added to the list! Have you had Monosolenium tenerum root solidly under water? Let the forum know! :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Got a bit of süßwassertang several months ago and just thrown it into a tank as I wasn't sure where to plant it. Was rescaping this tank last week and found that it all attached itself to substrate - regular Petco gravel.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hi Acro, about the Monoselenium...

I bought one anchored onto lava rock from The Plant Guy in Winnipeg. It grew well, but I got rid of it after a month. I just didn't care for it. It was nice and green until the wisteria started shading it, then it started to turn brown. I guess it needed higher light than the conditions I had it in.

It was tied down with fishing line. When I cut the fishing line off, it was anchored well enough that I had to rub it off in order to salvage the rock.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got a bit of süßwassertang . . . and found that it all attached itself to substrate - regular Petco gravel.
Nice! Glad to hear that a listed plant is working for you as advertised! :D
How well were the roots attached?

What about monte carlo?
It seems that Micrantherum umbrosum (aka monte carlo) will root onto rock. I recently heard from another member and they said "I've had it spread to and grow/root into lava rock". Another plant to add to the list!

. . . the Monoselenium . . . anchored well enough that I had to rub it off in order to salvage the rock.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Although this is the first report I've ever heard of it bonding to rock (and many members have tied it to items), I will add it to the list! Hopefully others will add their experience. :D

And here is the updated list:
Alternathera reineckii
Anubias sp.
Cryptocoryne hudouri
Cryptocoryne petchii
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Hydrocotyle tripartite
Lagenandra meeboldii
Micrantherum umbrosum (aka Monte Carlo)
Monoselenium tenerum (aka Pellia - one report of bonding to lava rock)
Staurogyne (Species?)

It seems some plants root well for some, and not for others. Please post up if you have experience with any plants on the list. I always like to have conformation from other growers. Also, post up if you've got something new to add! :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks for adding theatermusic87, and meowschwitz!

I found a new one too Crepidomanes calicut!

I'll arrange the new names into the list later, I just wanted to give a quick update! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I read in another thread that all aquarium plants except for Swords and Crinum can grow on wood or stone. (They wont attach, you have to tie them or glue them but they will grow and be fine).

Is that correct??

About the Monosolenium Tenerum - I have a lot and it attaches fine to wood and stone :) But if it does not like the place they can let go and float to a better location ;-)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had BBA (Black Beard Algae) appear in a 150 gallon cichlid tank and the only way I found to get rid of it was to remove all the driftwood and Mopani, then let it completely dry out then scrub it clean with a stiff scrubbing brush. Nothing since. Nasty stuff it is!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts