The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to attempt a sky island in the very near future:

I've seen two of these so far. Both use what appears to be Christmas moss. This is a good aesthetic choice since it hangs down, and breaks up the outline of the bottom of the island.

But I'm wondering if there's any other plants that naturally do the same. Any plant with this property is an option, it doesn't have to be as fine as moss.

I'm just not a big fan of moss, due to the tendency of trimmed fragments to escape, and later sprout up all over the darn place!

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Everything in that tank needs trimming. lol. Those tanks are nice but they probably spend days pruning it, getting the water clear of every plant piece just to get a nice photo shot.

Tanks like this are nice to look at it but probably not that practical to keep it looking like this on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not attempting to recreate the entire look. Heavily-manicured Amano style tanks are not my thing. For the most part, I let my plants grow wild. I just want the island, and one plant (preferably not moss) that will serve the stated function. It doesn't even need to be as fine as the moss, it can look like a common hanging ivy for all I care. ;)

BTW, the example picture isn't Amano. That tank belongs to Gary Wu. And it has already been replicated by another person.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I was watching youtube vids earlier today of waterfall effects and 'AVATAR' inspired floating islands. It definitely looks cool, I'm not sure what they were using but it didn't look like moss. Maybe check youtube for ideas?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gary Wu's version is attached to the back glass with suction cups. Unfortunately, he's provided little other detail. I think he's used both foam and stone to create a structure of near neutral buoyancy, so that the suction cups don't have to be too large or powerful to avoid sliding on the glass. This is the technique I plan to use.

Supermagnets could be used as well, just like the attachment option on Koralias. I read once their magnetic field is strong enough to cause JB Weld to automatically envelop them with an almost uniform thickness, thanks to the metallic particles it contains; though I haven't yet tried it, and so can't personally vouch for it. Since JB Weld is aquarium safe and waterproof, if it works this could be a neat way of sealing the magnet set inside the aquarium against corrosion.

I've now seen other techniques too, thanks to the Youtube videos suggested by Creekbottom. Two multiple island setups where they were interconnected by rigid rods, which are hidden when viewing from the front, but can be seen from an angle. In one, a single island stood apart, with no way to conceal a rod. This one was clearly buoyant and attached to a weight in the substrate via clear fishing line, as it was the only one waving in the current.

Now you know about as much as I do. I've never used foam, mesh, adhesives, or paint in a tank before, so it will be a totally new experience for me, and I'm sure I'll have some embarrassing mistakes and setbacks. All of which will be photographed, and if I feel it's helpful when all is said and done, I'll post a build thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.