The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am in the midstages of a two week treatment of a considerable amount of BBA using Flourish Excel. I have to admit it is doing the job very well as I complete just my first week. At least 60-70% of my problem is gone or dying.

However; it seems to be taking my Corkscrew Vals,Tiger Lotus and Echinodorus Franz Stouffles along with the BBA.

My Vals are melting quite fast. The Tiger Lotus is dropping leaves as the stems are weakening very quick. The Sword looks like it is suffering from K defficiency (thinning of leaves, holes) but only since I started adding the Excel.

- 90 Gallon Tank
- Pressurized CO2 system - Drop Checker Lime Green but can't get it higher.
- high light 4x54w T5
- EI dosing

I have dosed Excel starting 1 week ago at the rate of:

Water Change day - 45ml
every other day therefor - 25ml

So am I doing something wrong? Too much Excel perhaps?, the threads I have read call for this amount as I understood.

What other plants may be susceptible to Excel?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Using Seachem's Flourish Excel

Hello Krazy...

I know this is "old news" to you, but Seachem's Flourish Excel contains an industrial form of carbon called "Gluteraldehyde". It seems this problem has come up before in this forum.

Anyway, Flourish Excel contains 1.5 percent of this carbon and in high doses is used to control algae, as you've seen it does a very good job. What many don't know, is this fert is also toxic to other primitive plants like ferns, mosses and varieties of Vallisneria.

I used this fert quite some time ago, but in small doses and it works for the more complex aquatic plants. It's kind of a plant "steroid". I had to stop using it, because it was starting to damage my Java fern and Singapore moss.

I'm sorry about your plants. The ferns and mosses are a little hardier and in time, can recover, mine did. Vals aren't so tough and you may need to replace them.

B

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey every one thanks for the responses. I was aware of the adverse affects of Excel but I am surprised at how fast they have taken place.

I was most surprised about the affect it seems to be having on one of my swords. i have 2 different species of sword in the tank and only one seems to be affected.

Does anyone know if Excel has an effect of Swords?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.