The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

recently i have heard that some plants cannot grow with flourish excel.
could someone please clear up for me if vallisneria spiralis can be grown in excel dosed aquariums? would degreasing the recomended dosing by half or so make it ok for the vals?
anyother plants that cant be grown with excel?

thanks

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
people will say anacharis won't work with excel except it's not really true. Anacharis will do amazing with Excel if you just start out slow (ramp up the dosage slowly, start low) and keep a consistent dosage daily. It most likely just can't take the sudden megadose at the start followed by full on doses every day right away. Not sure if this is the same with vals.

·
Plant Clown
4,729 Posts
If you check the Algae forum, there's an Excel sticky. Toward the end of that sticky I posted a wrap-up of all the claims of negative plant reactions from excel overdoses. I don't know that any plants have negative reactions to recommended doses of Excel.

Side note: the (only) active ingredient in Excel is glutaraldehyde. The rest is water. Metricide and Cidex are more concentrated mixes of Excel, and they cost less. If you decide to go with regular doses of Excel, financially speaking, you're much better off with Metricide or Cidex.

And to be clear, some plants (such as blyxa and HC) need CO2 to thrive. Excel is not a substitute for CO2. Excel is to pressurized CO2 as frozen pizza is to eggplant parmesean served in a first-generation NYC Italian eatery.

All that aside, I have vals doing well in a low-tech 25g tank with Flourite substrate, occasionally dosing with Excel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts