The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to start a shrimp bowl, or maybe more than one, and I'm wondering whether there are any plants that I could put in that the shrimp would eat?

I'd like the bowl to be somewhat self-sustaining as I'm away now and then for periods, and so I'm wondering if it is better or not to add plants. I was thinking of maybe Christmas or Flame moss, and possibly something such as Riccia, Pelia, or Dwarf Sags.

I'd heard that shrimp won't eat healthy plants, but I thought as the older plants fade they'd provide food for the shrimp. However, I was also thinking that if I add any plants they'll likely suppress or prevent the algae which would otherwise feed the shrimp. So I'm not sure if the shrimp would be better fed with plants or just with algae in the bowl. Advice?

I'm also wondering whether adding a culture of Cyclops or Daphnia would help the system.

·
Banned
220 Posts
ehh your shrimps wont really eat plants unless they are dead just get shrimp foods, but definately get plants if you are getting a shrimp plants are really good for them, also you can add a culture if yolou want it may help and depending on your shrimp they might not eat algae so do be prepared for some maintenance of the tank

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think you'll definitely need to have plants. If I recall correctly, Newman tried a shrimp bowl without any plants and didn't have much success, though maybe he'll chime in on that. My shrimp bowl has lots of plants, but I think if you've got strong enough light, you're going to have algae either way; I do. I have dwarf hairgrass, telanthera, anacharis, dwarf baby tears, fissidens fontanus, mini marimo, and lots of duckweed, and still have algae that grows in the bowl. I feed maybe every other day, sometimes every day if I'm feeling generous, but only like 1 flake of fish food or 1 pellet of bottom feeder food. I've also fed them like 2 frozen brine shrimp or glass worms and they seem to enjoy that too. Overall, if you are doing an unfiltered bowl, I think you will NEED to have plants to keep everything stable. Good luck and be sure to post pics!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, I wouldn't think you'd need to add a culture if you're putting plants in because you'll probably have eggs on anything you add. I didn't do any culture but I've got TONS of daphnia and cyclops, and some little wormies as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts