The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What sorts of plants can be grown emersed? I'd like to try it out, preferably with plants that i have in my tanks

Amazon Sword (Probably not)
Brazillian Sword (Probably not)
Indian Red Sword (Probably not)
Crypt Wendtii
Bacopa (something, i can get a picture if necessary)
Reinekii Cardinalis
Dwarf Sag
Rotala Rotundifolia
Water Wisteria
Jungle val (Most definatley not)
Anubias Nana
Anubias Congensis
And some sort of Aponogeton.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Everything on your list can grow emersed except for jungle val and aponegoton and probably dwarf sag.
+1
except that the sag CAN be grown emmersed.

if you would like to try some other plants, i can send you a sampler package with a little bit of many different plants from my emersed setup (all of these grow just nicely emmersed :) ). shoot me a pm if you are interested

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, i never thought that Amazons could be grown Emersed, i might have to give that a try, ive got far to many on my hands at the moment and if it didnt go so well it wouldnt come as a loss to me, more of a learning experience.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Remove can, and replace with any other thing in the entire world. A plastic mesh pot or just a flower pot with some filter screen over the holes would probably be less detrimental to the water quality than that can is, especially with the label and glue still on it. Suction cup to the wall soap dishes from the 99c store. Probably even just a red plastic SOLO cup would be better.

Other than that, looks pretty legit, you have good humidity in there and emersed takes a lot less intense light to grow, so... more plants in there? Add an airstone to keep the water from going stagnant? Maybe some snails to do a little bio-action in the water.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remove can, and replace with any other thing in the entire world. A plastic mesh pot or just a flower pot with some filter screen over the holes would probably be less detrimental to the water quality than that can is, especially with the label and glue still on it. Suction cup to the wall soap dishes from the 99c store. Probably even just a red plastic SOLO cup would be better.

Other than that, looks pretty legit, you have good humidity in there and emersed takes a lot less intense light to grow, so... more plants in there? Add an airstone to keep the water from going stagnant? Maybe some snails to do a little bio-action in the water.
I've only got the can going as a temporary thing, I'm going to be at the mall tomorrow so I'll stop at loses or home depot and get some smaller flower pots. I planned on adding some anubias congensis, dwarf sag as well as some wisteria to the mix.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I've use a 20L with 4" clay pots, in 3" of heated water. I use an air stone to circulate the water. Saran wrap as a top. I had 80 degree air temp and 90% humidity.

I'm trying a smaller 2.5 tank now just 4 pots, no standing water or heat. Much slower growth rate.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've use a 20L with 4" clay pots, in 3" of heated water. I use an air stone to circulate the water. Saran wrap as a top. I had 80 degree air temp and 90% humidity.

I'm trying a smaller 2.5 tank now just 4 pots, no standing water or heat. Much slower growth rate.
I may be turning this tank into a shrimp tank and moving the setup to a rubbermaid container, so ill probably only have 3 or 4 pots going in this one, if i do switch it to a rubbermaid then i hope to have upwards of 10 pots. i dont really know my humidity, whats the best way to check that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.