The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on a plant that I can attach to a few branches of driftwood that stick out of the water and can tolerate being partially submerged.

I currently have a anubias nana on one branch and it's fantastic.

I have read that other anubias, java fern, and staurogyne (which I have) that work well with attachment to wood and will actively grow out of the water.

I've had Java fern and it's a mess, don't want that.

I had a friend recommend bromeliad as well.

Additional info: Pressurized CO2 injection and dosing EI.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Broms don't take to water on their roots. Some are from rain forests but have "tanks" that are formed by the leaves yet the roots are dry. Others are epiphytes and can't tolerate water at all. There's about 3200 different types. When I collected them I had over 150 different ones. Until the flood. My neighbor is a collector with 6 greenhouses full of them.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Water sprite, Creeping Charlie, rica, baby tears, most Hygros, Rotalas, pennywort, Water hacynth, are just some that come to mind. Some you will have to tie/wight down for them to stay on the wood, some will eventually use their roots.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'd sat one of your best bets would be anubias, there's several varietys that can be easy to obtain, also there more than one type of java fern, my personal favorite is windelov. Also a lot of mosses can grow partially submerged

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the options!

I need it to be able to attach to wood, so Java Ferns, Anubias, and Hygros are the obvious choices. Need to figure out which ones will take quickly.

I also have a large amount of Staurogyne repens, I think it will attach to wood as well, it grows water roots if I let it float.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pennywort, Selaginella, Baby Tears, Bacopa, Lilieaposis would all be good choices, you want something small that will grow both in and out of the water. Some mosses are hard to get to transition if you don't keep the humidity up. Java Fern might be tricky too.
Water Hyacinth is way too big and requires really high light .
I've had really good luck with Selaginella, Bacopa and Lilieaposis growing submerged and emersed.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pennywort, Selaginella, Baby Tears, Bacopa, Lilieaposis would all be good choices, you want something small that will grow both in and out of the water. Some mosses are hard to get to transition if you don't keep the humidity up. Java Fern might be tricky too.
Water Hyacinth is way too big and requires really high light .
I've had really good luck with Selaginella, Bacopa and Lilieaposis growing submerged and emersed.
Thanks for the long list! I don't know if all of these will attach to wood. I need it to be able to grow on wood, partially submerged :)

Bolbitis heudelotti or other bolbitis.

Michel.
I love Bolbitis, I didn't think it would grow out of water.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Bolbitis certainly will. I must add that overall it's not the easiest plant to grow....but it can definitely grow out of the water if the parameters are right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.