The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I will be getting a 10g for outside that will house Mosqitoe fish. The Mosquitofish tank will be, duh, planted. My main concern is the plants not being able to survive. The plants I plan on adding to the tank are:

Duckweed
Amazon Sword
Hornwort
Java Moss
Windelov Java Fern

The substrate will be a layer of Flourite and a layer of Black Gravel. Would these plants be alright at night since its cold at night? This tank will be a year long tank so it will be up always.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
The plants will be OK since they're not very demanding. Instead of bland mosquitofish, go for white cloud mountain minnows. :)

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plants will be OK since they're not very demanding. Instead of bland mosquitofish, go for white cloud mountain minnows. :)
Well the Mosquitofish seem more tolerant of the freezing levels. Im also getting the mosquitofish to keep our mosquitoes down around here. If I could I would get about 6 White Clouds depending on how many Mosquitofish I get.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Mosquitofish more tolerant of cold...?

Wikipedia said:
While normal temperature range of the species in the wild is 18–26 °C (64–72 °F), it can survive water temperatures down to 5°C (41°F); this makes it an ideal fish for keeping in an unheated aquarium in cold climates.
I kept a dozen of those guys on my balcony when I lived in Sacramento. :) Took them in for the summers, but in the winter, they did great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mosquito Fish are violent.. Be careful when mixing with other fish. I had one Mosquito fish spend three days harassing three Flag fish all at the same time. Then he killed two guppies. Oh then he bit of the tails of all the White Cloud fish.

Any questions :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts