The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I always got this problem with Myriophyllum aquaticum (Milfoil). The leaves on the bottom stem always melt but the stem still green. However, the top part grows really nice. Can anyone suggest what Im doing wrong here? Could this be from insufficient lighting? I got 4x36watt PL tube atm.

Also, with blyxa japonica, it always melt. My tank is about 3 months old with amazonia substrate.

Can anyone suggest something ?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
674 Posts
wats in ur tank? could be something eating away at the japonica; as for the Myriophyllum aquaticum its most likely not getting light down tehre

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my tank only some ottos and cardinals. None of them eat plants I believe.

For the Myriophyllum aquaticum, I was thinking the same as you boink, but how can I solve this problem if I want to plant these plants densely ? They will be planted so closely next to each other.

Im considering into upgrading my light to metal halide 1x150w. Will this help getting light down there ?

Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
i think that's just the way milfoil grows. if you don't want that part showing, try planting something shorter infront of it so you can't see the bare parts.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Myrio. aquaticum is not a good aquarium plant for the reason you stated, the bottom leaves always die off.
milfoil(parrots feather) is a pond plant. the leaves stay on the surface, and the stem under wayter drops it's leaves. it's beutiful in a pond, but ragged in a tank.

i would throw it in the swap n shop or YOUR pond if you have one, not local water systems!

then buy a proper myrio.
there's a lot of them that are great aquarium plants.

as for blyxa, i havn't a clue, i tried it once, it was shipped bad and melted away.

good luck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
In my experience all stem plants planted in any form of bunches lose the bottom leaves once they reach a certain height and the bottom portions grow long roots instead of leaves. I think its a light thing.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yea, but parrots feather is really a floater, but can be planted in pots in ponds to give more control over growth.
they ussually drop most of the submerged leaves, except for the few inches under the water.

·
Registered
159 Posts
similar to hornwort, which may only put out some vestigial roots, but mostly just floats.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info guy, i didnt know that myrio can melt esp at the bottom.
I will consider swaping this plants. Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts