The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I have a 150g planted freshwater setup. The aquarium is an aqueon megaflow drilled so it has those 2 big overflow boxes. I hooked up canisters to each side using the drilled holes. The water level kept going down in the overflows so, afraid it would suck air into my canister, i got black pvc and run pipes into the tank so I essentially don't use the overflow.

Those boxes hold about 4ish gallons each and seems like wasted space so I was thinking i might could put some plants and maybe a betta or something in them. Anyone ever done something like that in their overflow boxes?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Can we get a picture? You could maybe do something neat like micro crabs, but that depends on how the tank is designed really. I'm slightly confused about how it's designed, and therefore don't know what might work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is one of the overflows from the back...there are 2 since it is the 150 gal megaflow tank. i have the tank as a room divider so it is 360 view. i had covered the overflow w a static cling frost cover but so much wasted space.
so i have black pvc getting ready to remove the white for aesthetics. idk if you can see the cable menders along the top where i have ran the cords so, again, for aesthetics. this is freshwater and the boxes are bypassed so won't have to worry about water flow except from one hole drilled in each intake and output just enough to keep the water cycling in the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My mind is screaming that you should get a seahorse but there aren't any freshwater seahorses. And the area is too small for most seahorses anyways....

I personally think that nothing's going to work. Not many fish are vertically oriented fish. If you put in a fake floor (say, 6-8" from the top), then it might work for a betta.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
vertical challenge... that's what i was afraid of. so i might just do some tall plants in there i guess. thanks for the 2¢.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hmmm...plants though, you could do some interesting stuff with something like frogbit or water lettuce, which get ridiculously long roots, or with something like a lily or lotus that has surface leaves.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
This overflow is only visible from the back right? Anything you put in there is not going to be seen unless you are behind the tank. Plus, lighting is an issue as well. I think you are best off not doing anything with it. It was designed for filtration not as usable animal/plant space.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited by Moderator)
the tank is a room divider between my foyer and living room so it 360 viewable. thats why i wanted to do something in there. and i have lights that will go over that section plus that side faces the picture windows so dont think light will be an issue either.
i do have frogbit in another tank...yes! long roots for sure. looks like alien jellyfish lol! but my shrimp love to get in those roots and looks like they are playing lol!
so, plants are definite, maybe even hornwort or foxtail, that gets really tall. the tank is 29" tall.
i just wanted to include a fish if anyone thought something would handle the column size.

Perfect place for a Pothos ...
yes! i have pothos growing out of the side of the other overflow box already. trails about 5 feet down like a plant waterfall. LOVE IT!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perfect place for a Pothos ...
I was starting to read through this thread and my mind instantly went to Pothos... Scrolled down a bit more, and saw your reply. Great suggestion! I support Pothos as being an AWESOME suggestion.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Is this an issue where you want to maintain the design of the tank for some possible use in the future or is modding the whole thing worthwhile? Is this a glass or plastic of some type?
My thoughts as an alternate might run toward cutting sections out of the divider, if plastic, and turning it into a fish condo of sorts!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is this an issue where you want to maintain the design of the tank for some possible use in the future or is modding the whole thing worthwhile? Is this a glass or plastic of some type?
My thoughts as an alternate might run toward cutting sections out of the divider, if plastic, and turning it into a fish condo of sorts!
the 150 gal is glass. the overflows plastic and are siliconed in very tight. i thought about removing them but... if the drilled bulkhead holes ever leak, my tank will only lose whatever water is in the boxes, not drain my whole tank.
so, since i have bypassed the overflows by putting pvc intake pipes into the actual tank, the overflows are essentially unused space. tall space about 29" tall and only about 8" box size. so i wanted to do a betta or something in it like a tank in a tank... but guessing just plants might be best. i have lighting i can put over the boxes so that's not an issue. lights are actually underwater rated led in a tube so the light will be run down inside the box creating a backlight kind of lighting.
was just hoping to do something live for an interesting twist since the tank is a room divider between my foyer and living room so all 4 sides are in view. i have routed the cords thru cord keepers attached on the 4 corners so its an all neat and clean 4 side views...except for the dang empty boxes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update
since i already have an abundance of sprite, figured i'd just use that to test this plan out. we'll see in a few weeks how they are doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
I’m not sure why a betta wouldn’t work in these boxes - people do keep them in tall vases. Bettas are slow moving and don’t need much length of tank space to manoeuvre. Some tall vals and maybe a small led fixture over each box would look real nice. I would give it a try : )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
exactly but it is narrow and why i am slow to do it w something live. but maybe one day... until then i'm going to see how the plants do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
lol. I just put 20 shrimp in my DT on Sunday. So far I found four living in my sump. I dunno how long anything small will stay in the overflow box.

·
Registered
546 Posts
They're the absolute wrong shape for a betta, I really wouldn't put one in there. Shrimp would be lovely once the plants have grown in though, especially if you get some longer pieces of wood like mopani. There'd be scope for moss and epiphytes on the wood too, which would look lovely.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts