The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. so i was thinking of trying to grow some immersed terrestrial plants in one of my aquariums. I would want their roots and maybe even their vines to danlge through the screen and into the water and give the fish something to swim through.Right now i just has a homemade canopy with a single 48" T8 flourescent bulb(shop light). I've been thinking of mounting a new light fixture in the canopy which would have 2 48"bulbs. I've heard of pothos and arrowhead? any other suggestions about plants or lighting?

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
Only grew butterhead bibb but any leafy green should work. You will need neutral ph and try to manage your tank temp. stay away from anything that needs to flower or fruit for your first run. Give it a couple harvests or it will become alot to manage very quickly. its basically just an organic form of hydroponics. Just set up and add water/fishfood as needed. Very simple. Also, I've seen people do floating mats with lettuce, but I've never tried it so I don't know how much air space& water movement you need. I've been meaning to do a write up on what I learned by doing, but have been lazy. YouTube has a ton of videos on simple systems. The next one I build will come with a video. You will probably want to use air stones under the roots so the plants don't drown, otherwise go the bog plant route...purple waffle plant comes to mind.

Best of luck to you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.