The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I recently upgraded to a pressurized co2 system, yay!
The first day, I had it set to 1-2 bps. No pearling. So I now have it at 2-3 bps and I am barely seeing any pearling in my plants... I have a wide variety.
I add flourish twice a week.
My equipment:
Tank: 20 gallon long
Lights: finnex ray2 planted+
Co2: aquatek regulator with 5lb cylinder
Substrate: ecocomplete
Also have plenty of flow... What am I missing?!
Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
If the plants are growing normally and show no sign of deficiency then it is nothing to worry about. Pearling is simply due to the water being saturated with oxygen, so if the water is saturated and plants make any more oxygen it can't dissolve in the water and forms pearls. It has nothing to do with healthy plants and everything to do with other tank conditions, fish loads, temperature etc.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!
Plants still are growing normally, I guess I assumed pearling = healthy tank/plants.. I think I'll stick with my existing setup since my plants seem to be doing great :).
I think I have most of the requirements... Besides dosing of supplements.
Should I be dosing EI? Or is seachem flourish sufficient?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. I just ordered a bunch of dry ferts for a 4x2x2 since the price for the Seachem line of NPK would be expensive in the long run. But yeah, still not too sure if its neccesary...
Where did you get your finnex planted+ if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am wondering the same thing. I just ordered a bunch of dry ferts for a 4x2x2 since the price for the Seachem line of NPK would be expensive in the long run. But yeah, still not too sure if its neccesary...
Where did you get your finnex planted+ if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Amazon, 88$ I believe.. with free 2 day shipping from prime. If you order stuff online at least once per month, I'd definitely suggest getting it. So worth it!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have plenty of surface agitation from my power head and filter outtake.

Is my light not enough for my tank? I just purchased it recently..

What kind of light and tank?

Sorry re-read the first post, should be enough. Might be your ferts not allowing the plants to grow as much as the light and co2 demand.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It definitely would. Flourish is good, but doesn't have everything you need. I'm not a pro on this matter and I'm sure someone will chime in with more knowledge, but it would provide more available ferts in the column for the plants to use up. More growth = more oxygen created.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Drop the Flourish and pick up some dry ferts. You're paying for mostly water with those bottles. Plus the dry ferts will last you a long time. If you go EI, you'll have an easier time figuring out what to dose. To figure out your dosage, http://calc.petalphile.com/ is a handy nutrient calculator.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You're gonna need macros: Nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium and micros and a source of iron.

If you go EI, pickup some potassium nitrate, monopotassium phosphate, and potassium sulfate. For micros CSM+B will suffice and Iron should be supplied by chelated iron with either EDTA or DTPA chelation. DPTA is recommended for those with harder water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.